Hello from a newby on this forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holzbub11

Reaction score
Good evening all,
I have just joint this web site , I have started wood turning three months ago. My first lathe is a Record power DML 24 Mk2 and I got it second hand.
With having use it a lot lately, I quick found some points which I would prefer rather, so I decided to look for another one which offers me all the points I was expecting.
All these came to day light then I went to a local wood turning cub and they had a demonstration on, conducted by Jason Breach from Axminster and the club lathe.
It was just such a great lathe , but sadly my budget reaches that far not at all.
So I have been looking on the good old net and eBay and I feel if I stroke gold ! There was a lathe for sale , brand new , a Harvey T 50, build in China but the spec is more than suitable.
Has any of you come across one , specially for the ridiculous low price of £ 335 .00 ???
I had also an alternative model, build by Charnwood, and the type was the 813 which was a bit dearer but also brand new .
Yes, you guessed right, I am confused now as there are loads of lathes out there and I am not sure which are the best for my money I can afford. Have you got any suggestion, or has anybody a Harvey T 50 Turbo, please get in touch.
best wishes and happy turning

Hello again,
Yes, that is the beast! It is the price that surprised me, definitely a lot of lathe for the money, that is if the seller on eBay is not pulling a fast one , though!
This is just in my budget, can not afford more then £ 500, so pretty limited .
The other bad news is , that my DML 24 just has lost power, it is not pulling as good as it use to .
Thank you anyway

There has been some funny lathes for sale on there with very low prices they suddenly disappeared as the lathe in question sell for over the £1,000 mark so beware

Good morning,

Yes, that is worrying me , 10 machines of the same kind were on offer, all one after each other and all sellers had joint eBay the day before !
I contacted eBay and they said not to worry about it, it will be fine , so I put the money down for it but never heard from the seller and the seller never answered my messages and email back either.
They say I get my money back, which is a lot of money to me, but that can take weeks and I have some projects going and need the bigger lathe soon. My thoughts about the Harvey lathe were, this was too good to be true but lets go for it.
have a good day

Lutz

I have the Axminster hobby lathe http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... the-501268
You get an awful lot for your £435, long cast iron bed, rotating head stock and a 1HP motor. To describe it as a hobby lathe is a little misleading.
One reviewer says, " To rate it as a hobby machine is rather conservative because it just goes on and on never complaining no matter what "
Have a read through the other reviews and look at spec. Machine also comes with a stand and shelf I don't thinks yours did. Axminster sometimes sell returned almost like new machines on Ebay so if keep eyes open might spot one.

Hi again,

That is a good suggestion! I did phone Axminster, I spoke to sales person, he was not so clue up the lathe you are suggesting, he just ask me how much and often I will use the lathe so he commend that this machine was not suitable!
He recommended a more expensive machine , which was out of my league.
But if a reasonable return comes a long, I would go for it, that is providing I get my money back from this Chinese wonder machine.
Charnwood had a model , the 813, and it came with chuck thrown in for good measures but I could find bad or good news about it.
I would like variable speed, a head stock what can be swivelled, and a banjo and tool rest which is easier to fasten and a tail stock with a better winding mechanism.
Many thanks for your advice, best wishes

Lutz

Good morning again,

Yes, Axminster has a return machine in stock and I reserved it just in case. But what is the AT 1416 like and how reliable is it ? The Chninese wonder bargain machine is due but arrived yet, I wonder why?
Thanks again

Hello Holzbub11,
It's a pity you did not join the forum before you decided to put money on Ebay! If something on Ebay seems too good to be true,
It generally is TOO good to be true.
It would be better to ask for advice on the forum before committing money to an item. I would suggest the AT1416 is probably a good lathe as it
should be at £839.00 and being rated Trade.
I think Polly13 has suggested a better lathe for you particularly if you consider your level of experience and financial constraints.
And! it would be brand new from a reputable company.
As far as the Chinese wonder machine is concerned, I would have googled the company in China to see what sort of reputation the company has,
and how much they are selling the lathe for, to judge whether the price on ebay reflects how honest the trader is.
John. B

Good morning all,

Thank you that is a good point you made . It was too good to be true and as all bad stories end , the lathe never arrived .Nor did any replies from the seller. What annoys me most is that eBay is so blind and not spot things like that and does anything about it!
Some of us have not got much money and this is a lot of money to me and can not afford to waste it.
So back to square one now and the axminster AT 1416 has become a too expensive item as well , the reason is, it will need extra bits and to buy that pits the sum even higher.
Yes , I should have joint the forum earlier but at the time i did not knew that it existed! So we ll say afterwards , if I would have done so?
Now starts the battle to get the money back and if I am lucky I still get another lathe ?!?
Happy turning all of you and thanks for the tip and advice
best wishes

Back