newbie chisel sharpening question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sploo":qyxus98n said:
Paddy Roxburgh":qyxus98n said:
I've heard it said before that stropping dubs the edge, maybe, I don't know. What I do know is that a chisel or plane iron that I have sharpened performs better if I strop it. Could be that someone better at sharpening or worse at stropping gets a different result.
I love the proedge, a lot of money for a little belt sander, but I would buy it again
The ProEdge is superb for turning tools. I've not used it on a chisel or plane iron though as I prefer to freehand those on diamond plates.

Agreed on stropping too - I don't do it with turning tools, but it seems to help the planes and chisels.

I only use the pro edge on bench tools if I ned to grind them, then to diamond stones and strop

I would mention that you could ask a local holster maker, but I understand you guys don't do much of that, anymore! :lol:

D_W":36hhi0f7 said:
I would mention that you could ask a local holster maker, but I understand you guys don't do much of that, anymore! :lol:

Whereas you guys do way too much... :shock:

BugBear

You can get tooling leather which is quite thick, smooth and hard, I did get some thin horsehide but it was dressed with some sort of wax. Quick rub down with worn out wet 'n dry sorted that and it is OK but it ain't horse butt! Motorcyclist jackets and suits are made from horsehide but I doubt there is any butt involved. No matter what I have does me and if you are going to load it with abrasive then it does not really matter what it is, hard felt works as well as cornflake boxes.
BTW our constitution, yes we do have one and the US and other constitutions is largely based on it, gives us the right to bear arms if you can decipher Ye Olde English writing.

bugbear":qjk5zb7f said:
D_W":qjk5zb7f said:

Whereas you guys do way too much... :shock:

BugBear

Some, I guess. I don't do much of it, but do appreciate that the leathers are sold cheaply here. Except for horween shell,.... that's not cheap.

BTW our constitution, yes we do have one and the US and other constitutions is largely based on it, gives us the right to bare firearms if you can decipher Ye Olde English writing.

Well do prefer to keep ours clothed.

Paddy Roxburgh":1z1gymnk said:
sploo":1z1gymnk said:
Agreed on stropping too - I don't do it with turning tools, but it seems to help the planes and chisels.

I only use the pro edge on bench tools if I ned to grind them, then to diamond stones and strop
That's my thinking (that I'll use it to clean up a plane iron or chisel if I obtain one that's in bad condition). I've fixed too many grotty old plane irons using elbow grease, but I really don't need an excuse to go hunting for more old planes at the moment :)

Latest posts

Back