Water marks in oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevebuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I have several pieces of oak furniture that has stained feet from a recent flood we had, clean water mind..

Anyone know if they are worth scraping and buying new or is there a polish they would more or less cover the stain..

TIA

It may be possible to bleach the oak back to an acceptable colour using a solution of oxalic acid crystals. This needs to be done with due care since the acid is toxic. You can find information on the safe handing and use on -
WWWconstructionchemicals.co.uk

Mike Jordan":18apnhnr said:
It may be possible to bleach the oak back to an acceptable colour using a solution of oxalic acid crystals. This needs to be done with due care since the acid is toxic. You can find information on the safe handing and use on -
WWWconstructionchemicals.co.uk

On the back of this thread I bought some of this from the same people (Construction Chemicals) because of an exact same problem with some oak that I had planed for a job a couple of years ago that never got started. It works a treat (although read the instructions for dilution very carefully), but leaves a slight chalky substance on the timber after it dries. This simply brushes off.

WEAR A MASK when brushing this stuff off and put your clothes in the wash asap. The odour and dust is naaaaaasty.

Back