Left hand shooting plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
I have some boxes up shortly for some newly acquired honing stones. A good time to clean up and resharpen this left hand shooting plane I made about 7 years ago. It didn't quite turn out the way I had initially intended with the wedge abutments, but it was my 1st attempt at a skew mouth. The skew angle from memory is 12*. The blade is bedded at 38*, a primary hollow grind of 25*, and a secondary bevel of 28*. The brass sole and skates were all brass pinned. I still need to make up a new shooting board. The old unit was past its best, and got turfed out during the last workshop clean up.

Stewie;

The following is the right hand shooting board plane I made. Its fitted with an 1 1/4" wide single blade for use on thinner end grain stock. The folded 90* brass sole was done without the use of a bending machine, then brass pinned to the main body of the plane. The blade bed is 38*, 25* primary, and a 28* secondary bevel.

Stewie;

The mortising out was done using traditional single block construction. The wood is Merbau (kwila), a naturally heavy and oily timber, high in natural tannins.
An iron oxide stain was then used to interact with those tannins to ebonize the appearance of the timber. The patterning was done using a mix of gun stock checkering tools and impression stamps common for leatherwork.

Stewie;

Back