wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions what to do with this timber and no you can,t have it lol .Also what timber do you think it .
photo no 1 is what i bought with the big length and think it,s the same ;
Alan

Attachments

• DSCF8646.jpg
    DSCF8646.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCF8648.jpg
    DSCF8648.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCF8649.jpg
    DSCF8649.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 277
  • DSCF8650.jpg
    DSCF8650.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 277
If recently purchased from a merchant, then utile or sapele. If acquired by others means, from old stock for eg, then probably brazilian mahogany.

Looks like ribbon grain in photos 2-4, so Sapele or Iroko are both possible candidates. Be nice if it was Brazilian Mahogany, but that's veering towards the "all our geese are swans" trap. If it's a pig to plane without tear out then Sapele would be my guess (in which case have three weetabix and try a close set cap iron, it's real work on a board that size but it'll get the job done).

If you can do a bit of re-sawing then you've got just enough to make one of these,

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wp-co ... 4-Seg2.pdf

Personally I think a project similar to that should be on every home woodworker's list of objectives, it's a useful piece of furniture that will find a place in most homes, and it's a good test of wide range of basic woodworking skills.

Good luck!

It was a mantle piece above a fire place or so i was told it;s a shame to cut it and make a lot of bandsaw boxs;; i will cut the end grain on the large piece tomorrow and post a photo to see what you all think i am going for mahogany
Alan

mock":2i2t0715 said:
It was a mantle piece above a fire place or so i was told it;s a shame to cut it and make a lot of bandsaw boxs;; i will cut the end grain on the large piece tomorrow and post a photo to see what you all think i am going for mahogany
Alan

A swan then? :wink:

custard":1dl81uzq said:

If you can do a bit of re-sawing then you've got just enough to make one of these,

Personally I think a project similar to that should be on every home woodworker's list of objectives, it's a useful piece of furniture that will find a place in most homes, and it's a good test of wide range of basic woodworking skills.

Good luck!
I was going to say the same!
Spot on - I've made a few of these and sold them too.
They go well as pairs - one each side of the bed.

sapele I'd say from the photos, the smell will give it away straight away, it does have a distinctive spicy smell, take a super fine shaving and it should be obvious.

I agree Mock, my skills extend to boxing in bathroom pipework and making garden planters. Still, gotta start somewhere.

K

how are we ok i hope my saw still going
And yes i have to start some where but i don;t want to waste the timber if you know what i mean lol

Nice side tables, but I wouldn't do the M&T joints like that, they are very short indeed. If the tenons were moved outwards a bit, they could be twice as long, especially if they were mitred.
Otherwise a very nice table. I used to have one similar, American cherry, turned legs. Sadly no more. I'm not heartbroken about it, I made the top out of two different boards and the colour match was awful. It bugged me every time I looked at it. An expensive lesson to learn. Pity I don't have anywhere to put one, as I wouldn't mind making it again.

custard":1zllvao6 said:
Looks like ribbon grain in photos 2-4, so Sapele or Iroko are both possible candidates. Be nice if it was Brazilian Mahogany, but that's veering towards the "all our geese are swans" trap. If it's a pig to plane without tear out then Sapele would be my guess (in which case have three weetabix and try a close set cap iron, it's real work on a board that size but it'll get the job done).

Good luck!

I shall be filing this for a later date, but not too much later I hope. Way beyond my skill level too, but then my skills will only improve with practice. Oh, and a very impressive round number of times you have been thanked Custard!

Terry.

One good way to prevent discolouration of wood is to paint it heavily.
No joke - it's worth bearing in mind if you come across some old painted match-board, furniture, etc - if you clean it off carefully and give it a wash in caustic or sugar soap, you might end up with some very nice timber.

thetyreman would the timber give off a odour when going through the thicknesser planer i have picked up the shavings and can;t smell anything but the daughter said it;s like nutmeg lol
Alan :

mock":2q40etfq said:
thetyreman would the timber give off a odour when going through the thicknesser planer i have picked up the shavings and can;t smell anything but the daughter said it;s like nutmeg lol
Alan :

goose :wink:

Latest posts

Back