Powerfile beltsander are they any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobinBHM

Established Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about getting one of those powerfile beltsanders, the ones that have a 12mm or 20mm belt.

I want to clean up some metal parts, remove some mild rusting and make the parts shiny, either for leaving as bare metal or for painting.

A powerfile looks like it might be good at getting into awkward areas etc, but am slightly concerned it may be a gimmick tool and doesnt really do the job.

I had this in mind

http://www.screwfix.com/p/evolution-pre ... 240v/54960

Would a 1/2" belt width be good or too narrow?

For bigger more accessable areas would a flap wheel be good?

I use a ROS for bigger flat areas, which works well

TIA Robin

I have the makita versions and use them extensively for metal work purposes..getting in to tight areas weld grinding etc
Wouldn't want to be without them
Ian

We have the makita version at work, I purchased it a few years ago when we had to remove excess galvanising from inside some 50mm box section. We don't use it alot but when we do it usually gets us out of a jam where nothing else would fit in. It is very effective though and is not a gimmick tool.

The belts shred really easily, but if ours broke I would replace it straight away.

I got an old Black & Decker one from the carboot for £2 a while back, definatly a handy tool!

Edit: I have found the older B&D one to be reasonable quality (the green one), though I don't use it a lot. It might be worth going on eBay and getting one secondhand, considering perfectly good ones seem to go for less than £5.

I have the same one as in the link and it seems well made and reliable, very effective tool on metal and wood, all sorts of uses.

I've got the newer B&D one and wouldn't be without it, so handy for metal work and occasionally woodwork. I used it to notch out a door lock recess in some steel the other day, far faster than a file as I only had a small area to play with

I have that evo one.. Its a good tool. I bought it from their ebay page. B grade used for £25.. Came in near perfect condition

Many thanks to all for the advise, Its has certainly made me understand a powerfile is worthwhile tool.

Ill have a look on fleabay to see if a bargain one shows up.

Cheers Robin

Have you considered a multi tool, far more versatile than a powerfile IMO gets into corners without compromising the adjacent surface's vertical or horizontal from the abrasive, I don't know how I got on without one, my powerfile sits in the tool draw unused since I go the Fien Multi tool.

Mike

I bought a cheapie from Aldi for about £25-£30. It does not get as much use as I expected but is one of those really handy tools when you need them - a bit like the multi tool. I was surprised at how aggressively it can remove wood. I haven't tried it on metal yet but I would expect it to be good for rust removal in confined areas.

K

If you have compressed air, an air powered one will go even more places than the electric versions.
As said by others, a very useful tool.
Don't buy cheap belts though, frustrating as hell snapping all the time.

Back