Shotgun Box WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Water-Mark":1geeehsu said:
Those brass corners came out really nice.
I can see why you opted to make them.

Table saw cut them ok?

The blade has a tungsten carbide tip so it cut them very well. I made a blade sharpening jib a while back so ruining blades is no longer a problem (as long as i don't knock off the carbide). Brass and aluminium are pretty soft metal really. I use carbide tips on my metal lathe to cut toughened steel so aluminium and brass must be a doddle.

I'm not sure how to clean them. So i think i'll stick them in a hot bowl with soapy water to get the residue flux off.

Q: Anyone know if white vinegar will do as a acid bath for something like getting flux and oils off?

I meant to point out that one of the box joints is cut oversized by the thickness of the saw blade. So when i cut the top off all the box fingers are equal size.
IMG_4413_arrow.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4413_arrow.JPG
    IMG_4413_arrow.JPG
    219.3 KB · Views: 966
me: Forgive me father, but i have sinned.
Father: What have you done my son
me: i told a forum i silver soldered, but i effed it all up and the solder wouldn't effing move. So i copped out and used ordinary solder instead.
Father: say two hail Marys and confess your sins!!

Yip, i used ordinary solder. It still did the job though.

Update:
Top cut off but still held with the internal supports.
IMG_4437.JPG_resize.jpg

The top off and you can see how i supported the top while cutting it apart.
IMG_4438_resize_resize.JPG

Cleaned up any burn marks.
IMG_4441_resize_resize.JPG

Close up of the joints, you can see the fingers are all the same size.
IMG_4443.JPG_resize_resize.jpg

Starting to work on corner protectors for the exposed corners when the box is open.
IMG_4435_resize.JPG

Now cut awaiting final sizing.
IMG_4436_resize.JPG

Next Step:
Lots and lots of sanding for the box and lots of polishing for the brass. Also making a leather and brass handle from scratch.

Attachments

• IMG_4437.JPG_resize.jpg
    IMG_4437.JPG_resize.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 921
  • IMG_4438_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_4438_resize_resize.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 921
  • IMG_4441_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_4441_resize_resize.JPG
    231.6 KB · Views: 921
  • IMG_4443.JPG_resize_resize.jpg
    IMG_4443.JPG_resize_resize.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 921
  • IMG_4435_resize.JPG
    IMG_4435_resize.JPG
    247.1 KB · Views: 921
  • IMG_4436_resize.JPG
    IMG_4436_resize.JPG
    240 KB · Views: 921
Update:
Not much done today. Spent 2 hours just cleaning the shotgun. Yes for those of you who own or have owned a shot gun. No it doesn't take 2 hours to clean an standard over and under, but it does when you haven't done it for 3 months and you shoot every week with it. So was just trying positioning. I need to consider balance versus space. You can see i can build a large box to fit within the main box to cater for accessories.
IMG_4446_resize_resize.JPG

IMG_4448_resize_resize.JPG

Any comments or suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4446_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_4446_resize_resize.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 908
  • IMG_4448_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_4448_resize_resize.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 908
Not been in the workshop for a few weeks. But managed to get some work over the weekend. Gave the wood 4 spray coats of lacquer. Final polishing coats yet to come but allows me to continue with the ironmongery. This is what it looks like now.

IMG_4524_resize_resize.JPG

lock been cut in.
IMG_4517_resize_resize.JPG

close up of one of the catches.
IMG_4519_resize.JPG

Hinges fitted.
IMG_4522_resize_resize.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4524_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_4524_resize_resize.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG_4517_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_4517_resize_resize.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 832
  • IMG_4519_resize.JPG
    IMG_4519_resize.JPG
    239.5 KB · Views: 833
  • IMG_4522_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_4522_resize_resize.JPG
    242.9 KB · Views: 833
Coming together nicely, decided on the layout yet? Don't forget the balance will change once you fit the internal storage box [and fill it, esp. if you will have ammo in there].

monkeybiter":3euony4h said:
Coming together nicely, decided on the layout yet? Don't forget the balance will change once you fit the internal storage box [and fill it, esp. if you will have ammo in there].

Probably going to leave that to last. The barrel is easy as it can only go in one way and i have to decide which end goes left or right, as the barrel is not balanced and has a heavy end.

Latest problem. As you can see I didn't pilot the hole all the way and snapped off the screw head (top left). It took no pressure at all, must be cheap screws off eBay. My current proposal to get it out, is to use a 6mm piece of steel as a jig. The screw is circa 1.5mm thick. So i was thinking if i drill a 2mm or 2.5mm hole into the steel and clamp that to the wood and use it as a stabilising jig to then drill out the screw. Then simply plug the small hole.

Or do you think the drill at that size will wonder and snap, or do i just go large and use a 3 or 4mm drill and then plug a bigger hole??
IMG_4520_resize_resize.JPG

IMG_4521_resize_resize.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4520_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_4520_resize_resize.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 1,217
  • IMG_4521_resize_resize.JPG
    IMG_4521_resize_resize.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 1,217
Not been in the workshop in a while. But finally got back to working on the box. Mainly polishing the brass.

Corner protectors.
Photo 09-10-2016, 4 27 15 pm_resize_resize.jpg
Photo 09-10-2016, 4 28 06 pm_resize_resize.jpg

lock
Photo 09-10-2016, 4 28 49 pm_resize_resize.jpg
Photo 09-10-2016, 4 55 02 pm_resize_resize.jpg

Attachments

• Photo 09-10-2016, 4 27 15 pm_resize_resize.jpg
    Photo 09-10-2016, 4 27 15 pm_resize_resize.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Photo 09-10-2016, 4 28 06 pm_resize_resize.jpg
    Photo 09-10-2016, 4 28 06 pm_resize_resize.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Photo 09-10-2016, 4 28 49 pm_resize_resize.jpg
    Photo 09-10-2016, 4 28 49 pm_resize_resize.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 1,102
  • Photo 09-10-2016, 4 55 02 pm_resize_resize.jpg
    Photo 09-10-2016, 4 55 02 pm_resize_resize.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 1,102
monkeybiter":1bv4gik5 said:
How did you fix the sheared screw?

i drilled a 3mm hole in a piece of steel and then clamped that to the box and used it as a jig to drill out the brass screw. Worked pretty well. Then drilled out a 4mm hole to even it up and plugged it with a piece of 4mm matching oak.

That looks very tidy Kinsella, and the solution for the broken screw was smart. Are you planning to put a key plate (think that's the word) in?
The brass corners came out very well. =D> Do you protect the brass in anyway like adding a protective coat or are you happy for it to age naturally. In a roundabout way I'm hunting for answers on what if anything to do with a bit of brass I've been working on for a little project. I'm in two minds after spending some time getting it polished up to try and protect it or tbh my natural inclination which is to let time do its work. My brass is for a tool so it's a bit different (maybe) but I'm always interested to store up a few tips.
Enjoying the thread still, and glad you've found a bit of time to continue.
Regards
Chris

Bm101":2w9hnobq said:
That looks very tidy Kinsella, and the solution for the broken screw was smart. Are you planning to put a key plate (think that's the word) in?
The brass corners came out very well. =D> Do you protect the brass in anyway like adding a protective coat or are you happy for it to age naturally. In a roundabout way I'm hunting for answers on what if anything to do with a bit of brass I've been working on for a little project. I'm in two minds after spending some time getting it polished up to try and protect it or tbh my natural inclination which is to let time do its work. My brass is for a tool so it's a bit different (maybe) but I'm always interested to store up a few tips.
Regards
Chris

I was wondering if i should do an escutcheon (key plate thingy :lol: ) I have a mill so i can cut the round and the slot tidy enough, but i think the simpleness of the small slot you see i might leave it.
The brass corners looks good at the mo, i was thinking of dipping them in lacquer to keep the colour, but i may just leave them as they will get scratched i suspect and i'm torn with the scratched lacquer look or just opting for Brasso every now and then.

Next bits are leather work and making a handle from scratch.

kinsella":dhyeigan said:
Bm101":dhyeigan said:
Regards
Chris

I was wondering if i should do an escutcheon (key plate thingy :lol: ) I have a mill so i can cut the round and the slot tidy enough, but i think the simpleness of the small slot you see i might leave it.
The brass corners looks good at the mo, i was thinking of dipping them in lacquer to keep the colour, but i may just leave them as they will get scratched i suspect and i'm torn with the scratched lacquer look or just opting for Brasso every now and then.

Speaking as an electrical engine-ear, the sight of a little tarnished brass is far more preferable than a scratched up and flaking lacquer finish.
If it can be left alone and not handled lacquer might be fine. For something that's used, moved and abused, a little love with some metal polish now and again is no biggie.
Just my opinion, thought I'd share :D

n0legs":1u6la0qp said:
kinsella":1u6la0qp said:
Bm101":1u6la0qp said:
Regards
Chris

Speaking as an electrical engine-ear, the sight of a little tarnished brass is far more preferable than a scratched up and flaking lacquer finish.
If it can be left alone and not handled lacquer might be fine. For something that's used, moved and abused, a little love with some metal polish now and again is no biggie.
Just my opinion, thought I'd share :D

I tend to agree and i'm not going to add any finish to the brass.

I think i underestimated how long the metal work takes. Polishing, filing etc etc. then accidentally scratching, re polishing etc.

Progress so far.

IMG_4769_resize.JPG

IMG_4770_resize.JPG

IMG_4771_resize.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4769_resize.JPG
    IMG_4769_resize.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_4770_resize.JPG
    IMG_4770_resize.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_4771_resize.JPG
    IMG_4771_resize.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 919
kinsella":6whtr6mi said:
I think i underestimated how long the metal work takes. Polishing, filing etc etc. then accidentally scratching, re polishing etc.

Look good though =D>
Some things are worth it :wink:

Back