Applying features with router and indexer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Phil.
That's a very useful aid for those without a drawing or cad program.
Would have saved me some time too.

Woodpig
You've crushed my ego. Humbling or what.
I can't even call my jig a wheel after seeing these inventions.
Absolutely fascinating.

BTW Phil if you read this. That link you provided led me to some very enjoyable and informative sites. Thanks

Bob

I don't know what your setup looks like Bob but the results you've got with it speak for themselves, they're very good. :wink: I have enough trouble at times with basic turning let alone adding routed embellishment! Keep posting you latest works as they come along and make us all jealous. :lol:

My Father played a little with an index and router but replaced the router because of the tear out you mentioned. He used a small shaper head mounted to a big hand held inline grinder, the kind welders use to break edges, mounted to the end of a long bar. The bar had a universal joint from a car driveshaft that was fixed to a spot he wanted to get the right pivot point so it would arc across the work. He had templates he would position along the bar to create the curvature of the bowl etc. The blades in the shaper head cutting a large arc left a smooth surface needing very little if any sanding. I don't have any picture of the setup and the bowls are packed away for at least another 6 months or I would add them to the thread.

Pete

Thanks Pete.
Had to read that a few times to form a picture. It sounds like man's work. You could get me and my jig in a cereal box.
Seriously though, it sounds very interesting. I like to see original thinking and your Dad clearly understands the subtlety of the task.
He's invested heart, mind and body in this. Would love to see the results. Come back in 6 months if you can.

Best wishes across the pond
Bob

I plan on making a version myself next year. I was going to use a long nose air die grinder and a canoe bit. Instead of the air fitting in the end of the die grinder, a pipe with the air fitting in it and the pipe screwed in the grinder. A yoke and pivot, kind of like the tone arm on a record player, to let it swing. Another clear as mud explanation eh. :)

Pete

There's some good old mechanical logic going on here. I was dreading this being dominated by cnc.
Please keep it that way guys.

Bob

That's a good link Derek. I do wonder why folks build things like that out of MDF though. If I was going to that amount of effort I'd use something more durable like Birch ply.

woodpig":2u7mq4hp said:
That's a good link Derek. I do wonder why folks build things like that out of MDF though. If I was going to that amount of effort I'd use something more durable like Birch ply.

MDF is as common as dirt here whereas Birch plywood is hard to find and at least triple the price. Given a choice I'd rather work with the Birch over the heavy and dusty MDF.

Pete

Hi Dalboy.

Thanks for the Making Rose Engine link.
Exploring these sites has been so useful in deciphering the wizardry of Victorian ornamental turning.
That self build machine looks very tempting but the investment in money and time doesn't quite equate for me.
I am seriously contemplating building some rotary activation into my little jig though and I love the fly cutter arm.

Thanks again. Inspirational

Bob

Just completed this small bowl in cocobola and olive.
It was a pleasure to make but finishing presents problems.

1. I avoided using sanding sealer as it leaves light "plugs" in the relatively open grain dark wood. The texture looks pretty porous
in grazing light as a result.

2. To preserve hard earned detail I used Danish oil rather than a wax finish. It hasn't cured yet but has left a gummy residue
that is difficult to remove from the multitude of sharp recesses. (see enlarged partial image)

Can anyone please suggest a better way to finish this type of work. We all know how finishing can deny you the satisfaction of an
otherwise pleasing creation.

Nice bottom
When someone picks up a piece they nearly always turn it over and look at the bottom before even looking at the fancy bit. (hope that
doesn't get censored) Well I've given 'em something to look at. Not an indulgence. I just made a grooving jig and that was my last
piece of cocobola to try it on.
Works great. Any pitch (Radial or axial), depth or profile you wish to grind.
Those large pores spoil it a bit though. I know what your thinking.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02417.JPG
    DSC02417.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC02408.JPG
    DSC02408.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC02414.JPG
    DSC02414.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 933
  • DSC02404.JPG
    DSC02404.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 934
Attempt to "sculpt" a vase with the router. Not enjoyable (dust and noise) but interesting.
This is just a feasibility exercise in scrap ash. The spiral path produces nice natural form.
The potential for variation is infinite but I think interest in this thread has expired so will make no further posts.
Thanks to all who participated.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02421.JPG
    DSC02421.JPG
    112.5 KB · Views: 883
  • DSC02437.JPG
    DSC02437.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 882
No! You mustn't. That's been viewed fifteen times since 10.14pm. I doubt many other threads have been viewed more.
Is the grooving on that graduated as it goes around, or is only part of it grooved? I can't quite work it out.

It looks to me like it's done by gradually withdrawing the cutter a bit for each sweep.

Please don't stop posting!

Phil.
The grooving is not graduated but can be.
I started with 15 deg. increments (not visible) and reduced to 10 deg. as seen here.
The shoulder is the remainder or the turned blank profile. I liked the look of it so
did not cut a full rotation.
The set up is laborious and my jig geometry needs rethinking to cope with long cylindrical forms.
Work holding and dust collection are also issues I have got to work on so its back to the drawing board for a while.

I rarely (never) ask for advice but was disappointed that nobody responded to my finishing problem above.
To be honest I'm getting a bit disenchanted with the forum. There are some wonderfully talented people who give a great deal
but conversely many that think success is achievable by simply leeching knowledge. The reliance on You-Tube as a skill source is almost pathetic.
I'm old school and hands-on. Creativity is born out of non pre-conditioned state of mind. Given this is a forum for the practically minded some of the
topics are unworthy. Respect and good luck to the many here that deserve it but I think I will return to the serenity of my workshop.

Good luck Phil.

Bob

bobajobob":1r0asv59 said:
I rarely (never) ask for advice but was disappointed that nobody responded to my finishing problem above.
To be honest I'm getting a bit disenchanted with the forum.
Bob. Great work above - but if you're after finishing advice you're more likely to get responses with a separate post in the finishing forum rather than a question in a thread in the turning forum.

Back