Quick drying, durable and low odor worktop sealer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanajb

Established Member
Reaction score
We have maple worktops and the last time I resealed them I used a Sadolin water based laquer. Now I know that this is most likely not food safe, but as we always use chopping boards for food prep nothing really came into contact. I have subsequently had to scrape the finish off as it became very tacky to the touch and if you put a cereal box onto the surface it would stick so bad that the box would tear off and stay stuck to the surface :-O I blame the wife as I suspect it is the constant use of dettol anti bacterial sprays that have caused the surface to do this. The area under the microwave was not sticky.

I digress, but what I want to try and understand is whether I can use water based laquer or would people strongly advise against this?

I don't want to go down the oil route for the following reasons.

1. It stinks.
2. Can only apply one coat every 24 hours
3. We are too lazy and will not apply additional coats 2-3 times / year
4. Not convinced oil is that great anyway.

So is there a magic sealer or can I use the water based again.

Thanks

Decided to give the Polyvine Ultra Tough Worktop Varnish a go.

flanajb":3d5ymzsi said:
...last time I resealed them I used a Sadolin water based laquer. Now I know that this is most likely not food safe...
All finishes are probably 'food-safe' as far as we need be concerned, once fully cured.

flanajb":3d5ymzsi said:
Decided to give the Polyvine Ultra Tough Worktop Varnish a go.
Do report back on how water-resistant this turns out to be in service.

Back