Holdfasts - are the Rutland ones any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
I got an email from Rutlands to say that there's 15% off everything this weekend with free delivery, so as I'm in the process of making my workbench I will be wanting to get some holdfasts and I saw these on the Rutlands website:

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... kota+dkbbh

I'm assuming that they wont be as heavy duty or sturdy as the solid cast ones, but has anyone got any experience of these ones?

I also welcome any alternative recommendations for holdfasts.

Holdfasts are weird, some work absolutely beautifully, most don't work at all.

They may look simple, but I guess there's a huge amount of skill and experience goes into getting exactly the right metal, temper, dimensions, etc. Unfortunately Rutlands don't have the best reputation when it comes to the "skill and experience" stuff, so even at 15% I'd avoid unless a very credible forumite comes forward and hand on heart swears that they're great.

Good luck!

And its cast so inherently weaker than a bent bar as in the Gramacy and Workshop heaven ones. I can't see it standing up to much use to be fair.

Matt

I wouldn't buy them. A holdfast with a cast head is wrong. They must be made by someone who has seen a picture of one but does not understand how they work - the cast iron will be in tension in use and will soon crack.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy some of the holdfasts made by the much-missed Richard T a few years ago and extensively discussed on here.
Now that he's no longer with us, if I wanted some I would go to Workshop Heaven and buy what Matthew sells - he understands woodworking, only sells good stuff and his prices are fair. (No connection etc; just describing my personal experience.)

AndyT":2gn7w5sw said:
I wouldn't buy them. A holdfast with a cast head is wrong. They must be made by someone who has seen a picture of one but does not understand how they work - the cast iron will be in tension in use and will soon crack.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy some of the holdfasts made by the much-missed Richard T a few years ago and extensively discussed on here.
Now that he's no longer with us, if I wanted some I would go to Workshop Heaven and buy what Matthew sells - he understands woodworking, only sells good stuff and his prices are fair. (No connection etc; just describing my personal experience.)

I agree 100% Andy, mine came from Matthew and they do take a beating.

Matt

Ive got a pair and not had a problem however, they need a 22mm hole so cannot be used in my benchdog holes so they need dedicated holes drilled

Thanks all for the replies. Based on the general consensus I think I'll pass on the Rutlands and wait until I'm ready and spend a little more on the holdfasts by Gramercy as they seem reasonably priced compared to some. Plus it would be useful to have the flexibility of using all of my 19mm dog holes!

I'm with the others - I wouldn't buy them, except from a proven manufacturer. I don't know if they're steel or iron, cast or drop-forged - but if this design isn't made correctly, they'll likely fracture in use.

Cheers, Vann.

Is Rutlands stuff good? I have sensed a few negative vibes from people but not actually read about anything from them that is definitely rubbish. I had been looking at their router extension collets as they looked a tempting price

curtisrider":3fqkxgs1 said:
Is Rutlands stuff good? I have sensed a few negative vibes from people but not actually read about anything from them that is definitely rubbish. I had been looking at their router extension collets as they looked a tempting price

A while back i bought their set of 66 router bits (with 15% off so was only £135), they may not be the best quality bits on the market, but at £2 each bit you cannot go wrong!! And i've used quite a few of them too. I also have 2 of their wet 'n' dry vac's which are connected to dedicated machines which have been pretty good, noisy but do what their supposed to. I'm sure a lot that they sell are cheap rubbish, but there's the odd thing that's worth considering

I have a pair of traditional wrought steel holdfasts (bent bar) by Simon James bought from Richard Maguire, and they're really good. I don't have a proper bench to use them with presently*, but, although intended for 3/4" (19mm) holes, they grip very well in my Workmate-style portable benches, which have 20mm holes, I think, for the dogs.

When I got them they were around 40 quid for a pair plus delivery.

E.

*my existing benchtop has collars fitted for Record #145s. They're OK-ish but nothing like as good as the simple traditional ones, IMHO, so I'm changing it ASAP (may be a while yet).

Seem to remember reading on Dieter Schmeid site that they originally stocked cast holdfasts. Very quickly they didn't. That's all I'd need to know. :wink:

Back