Applying features with router and indexer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobajobob

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in awe of the carving talent I see on-line and would love those skills. I've been wanting to add features /textures to my turned pieces but know it would be tears
if I laid a hand-tool to them. I spent a few days building an index device I could use with a small router. All the parts were home-made so I wasn't expecting great results. With care to eliminate slack it has worked quite well and has been fascinating to develop. I will try to add pic of the results (no luck previously!) to generate some response. Would love to hear from others pursuing this aspect of our art. (Will post more on Photobucket if of interest.)
Primitive compared to ornamental lathe art but fun.

Attachments

• DSC02128a.JPG
    DSC02128a.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 2,662
bobajobob":1mxg7q7z said:
I'm in awe of the carving talent I see on-line and would love those skills. I've been wanting to add features /textures to my turned pieces but know it would be tears
if I laid a hand-tool to them. I spent a few days building an index device I could use with a small router. All the parts were home-made so I wasn't expecting great results. With care to eliminate slack it has worked quite well and has been fascinating to develop. I will try to add pic of the results (no luck previously!) to generate some response. Would love to hear from others pursuing this aspect of our art. (Will post more on Photobucket if of interest.)
Primitive compared to ornamental lathe art but fun.

Absolutely Boootifull !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well done. I don't think I could do that on my old Legacy ornamental lathe.
Timber

Hey bobajob
Your results look excellent - nice crisp lines, great accuracy...brilliant stuff. I've thought about doing something similar but it keeps slipping down the tuit list. I'd love to see more pictures of your set-up (or see it in person...I'm Sussex based too!)
Let's see some more!

Woody2Shoes":3566in9b said:
Very nice! I'd be very interested to hear/see how you did the spiral ones.

Ditto that, they look amazing.

I've posted some larger pics on http://s77.photobucket.com/user/Leew_Fr ... t=9&page=1
Leew Francis is the other me btw.
Got loads of things to try when I've got time. Will post more when I can.
Like to see similar stuff from others. C'mon, this is good for the grey matter.
Would like to further the refinement of my set-up before showing.
I'm sure you guys will understand. Thanks

Thanks Peter
Glad you liked my little collection.
Coming from an accomplished craftsman. That's really appreciated.

Bob

They are great - well done, Bob.

If you get the urge, can you post up a WIP so we can all see your jig setup, etc?

Looking forward to the next developments!

Cheers

Greg

Finally got round to doing a bit on the lathe. It was fun experimenting with the router but got sick of the dust and noise.
Results are ok but doesn't satisfy like turning. Was hoping for response from fellow practitioners of router carving. Seems
thread has no legs. I made a few bits after testing. Pics attached.
Better pics on http://s77.photobucket.com/user/Leew_Fr ... t=9&page=1 (recent)
Will investigate generating more advanced paths so may post anything interesting that falls off the lathe.

Sorry but I am not posting details of my jig yet. Its not hard to work out the principle.
I made it for pennies and drilled the index plate by eye. It performs better than some commercial jigs and will likely be copied.
I was an industrial designer so I'm a bit sensitive about intellectual property.
Not the ethos of the forum I know but I was hoping for technical dialogue with like minded members.
Normally happy to give help and advice whenever possible. Thanks to all that did respond.

Bob

Attachments

• DSC02383.JPG
    DSC02383.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,295
More pics

Attachments

• DSC02382.JPG
    DSC02382.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 2,289
  • DSC02377.JPG
    DSC02377.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,288
  • DSC02376.JPG
    DSC02376.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 2,287
  • DSC02373.JPG
    DSC02373.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 2,287
  • DSC02370.JPG
    DSC02370.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 2,287
  • DSC02364.JPG
    DSC02364.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 2,287
Nice work. We had a demo at my club showing how to produce a "Lattice" bowl. It made use of the existing indexing facility on some some lathes - the club lathe is an AT1416VS which I think has 24 divisions. The only other parts used were a simple platform mounted on the banjo and a "sled" onto which a dremel type tool was fixed. It was surprisingly effective. As you say it shouldn't be too difficult to knock something up but I must admit I've not done a search to see what others have come up with.

Edit: a quick Google shows the sort of thing demonstrated at my club here:

http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/woo ... the-lathe/

There are some clever ideas on there, I particularly like the flexible curve guide. :wink:

Pictures 8 and 9 on this page:

http://www.woodworkersinstitute.com/woo ... the-lathe/

Thanks Woodpig (nice name!)

Good feedback at last.
I work in "splendid isolation". A club environment sounds like a good place.

The attitude of the router cutter is critical for good results.
Cutting with the axis perpendicular to the work face can leave a very ragged finish.
This is easily addressed by articulating the router but complicates cutting depth control.
Sliding a carriage on a platter requires very careful attention. Concentration tends to wander after multiple passes.
Wood choice and grain direction is also very critical to finish.
Most lathes have minimal indexing. My plate is auxiliary with 50 and 60 holes.
I printed an array from the computer and drilled through acrylic sheet.
Any configuration is possible.
Enjoyed reading the articles. Thanks again.

Bob

beautiful work. I am in awe. If ever you decide to go into production of the jig I am sure there will be plenty who would be interested in it.

Thanks Woodpig (feels disrespectful typing that!)

Some time ago I was exploring inlay cutting for a jewellery box for my wife. I made a mini fixed base router that used a dremel and sleeved bit that could follow a template. It worked OK for veneer depth cutting. This was then adapted to "engrave" turned surfaces. The scope was very limited for any 3 dimensional effects and the cutting action was .... well....ugly.

Funnily enough I came across the above site when looking for a better solution. With the little experience I had got from my dremel I was not convinced that the concepts for their devices were wholly satisfactory. A smooth consistent cut demands jig rigidity and good tool presentation. Fine detail requires precision and micro adjustment in the jig construction. Interesting paths/profiles are also hard to achieve without compound angular and linear adjustments. These issues I have tried to address. I don't have a fancy workshop or a wealth of construction materials so it has been an interesting challenge.

My lathe lacks any indexing facility so the first step was to produce an accurate index disc compatible with all my chucks/faceplates (so expensive for something so simple!) with 5 and 6 degree increments. This proved much easier than I imagined. I can explain how if any one is interested.

Thanks again for your interest.

Bob

Back