Bookcase question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobCrozier

Reaction score
Hi there, can anyone tell me what the curved top (and sometimes bottom) are called and where can I get some patterns.
(photo attached)
Thanks in advance.
Bob

Attachments

• Bookcase.jpg
    Bookcase.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 168
I don't think they have a specific name but as has been said above just make one half of the patter and then flip it on the center line. Something like the one pictured it easy to do with a coping saw, files and rasps, some of the designs on welsh dressers would take considerably more time and care.

lg_307566.jpg

Matt

Attachments

• lg_307566.jpg
    lg_307566.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 135
Vallance. I knew it would come to me eventually. I think that's as good as it gets.
val·ance (văl′əns, vā′ləns)
n.
1. An ornamental drapery hung across a top edge, as of a bed, table, or canopy.
2. A short drapery, decorative board, or metal strip mounted especially across the top of a window to conceal structural fixtures.

Get a cheap set of 'French Curves' - (drafting templates.) These will make it easy to get the attractive sweeps you want. As already stated, make a half side template from 3mm MDF and flip it to trace the opposite side.

HTH

phil.p":fy7qqpmh said:
It's not difficult to make patterns as the sides are asymmetric

Symmetrical, Phil. Asymmetry is not the same on both sides. :-D

BobCrozier":2t6gdmdp said:
Hi there, can anyone tell me what the curved top (and sometimes bottom) are called and where can I get some patterns.
(photo attached)
Thanks in advance.
Bob
Any old scribble could be better than your example! Just scribble one half on a bit of paper - fold over and copy the other.
Better to have a look at some good examples and freehand one half, as above.
NB it's probably called an apron
http://www.welshantiques.com/oak-dresser1.htm

Back