Windows 10 - problem with OneDrive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
When I installed Windows 10 I signed up for OneDrive thinking it would be useful to access files away from home. In fact I’ve never used it and now get a warning message that my OneDrive is getting close to the free 5Gb capacity after which there is a monthly fee for additional capacity.

I thought I’d just disable OneDrive but then found I couldn’t access the files already saved to OneDrive. Anybody know how to save files just to the PC rather than OneDrive?

I can’t imagine that Windows would structure Windows 10 to extract even more money from me #-o

Regards Keith

Like any cloud storage, OneDrive will create a corresponding set of rules and folders on your pc that it will sync with the cloud. If you move all of your files out of the OneDrive folder on your pc and into your own folder, it will sync the now empty folder.

Do you also sync photos from your phone camera? Those (and any videos) could also fill it up pretty quickly

I have 10.7GB on my OneDrive and have a 15GB limit; I pay nothing.
From memory they quietly raised the limit as I approached it - perhaps to get people used to using it before they start charging - cynical I know.
I only use it for photo sharing, and I have the copies on my laptop as well.

I would never put anything important up there - and be held to ransom at some time in the future.
I don't think so, I'm not that slow on the uptake.

Brian

I find OneDrive cloud storage handy for storing a copy of Travel Insurance documents or hotel reservations etc. before travelling abroad.
That way I can then access these documents again easily from any computer if they were to be lost from my luggage.

You can very easily control what you store in one drive as you can in any number of similar set ups like dropbox and iCloud. We use One Drive for business as it is excellent for document sharing etc and accessible from anywhere with reasonable security. It is a good service and even the paid for business model is cheap. Competition from dropbox et el keeps the pricing honest.

Back