Knotting Solution as Friction Polish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NazNomad

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an unopened bottle of LANGLOW PATENT KNOTTING SOLUTION, I have no idea why I have it or where it came from. :-D

The technical spec. sheet states it ... ''is an alcohol based natural laquer (sic) and synthetic resin solution''

Synthetic resin suggest to me this is a shellac-a-like product?

It's already alcohol based but I have no idea of ratios of alcohol to resin.

My question is ... Could I add BLO to this and use it as a friction polish on the lathe?

Obviously I'd need to experiment with quantities but it's all a laugh, innit?

NazNomad":2x0h0ps8 said:
Synthetic resin suggest to me this is a shellac-a-like product?
Shouldn't it be the natural lacquer that suggests shellac, not the synthetic resin? :wink:

NazNomad":2x0h0ps8 said:
My question is ... Could I add BLO to this and use it as a friction polish on the lathe?
Soak some onto a wad of cloth, put a drop of BLO on the centre and press to some spinning wood. That'll tell you a lot :D

If the synthetic resin doesn't get in the way of this working then proportions aren't that critical with this sort of thing. Many of the formulas online are far higher in BLO than they need to be (1/3 and more) The oil is just there to provide lubrication, not to form part of the final finish so just a little can have the desired effect.

BTW if you discover the knotting is a little thin you can simply pour some out and let some of the alcohol evaporate before mixing up your polish.

Latest posts

Back