Stewie, your two new stones..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
..I see on another forum that you've bought an MST slate and one of the guangxi stones. I have a couple of guangxi stones (have had four total, but still have two) and I had an MST 8x3 stone at one point, because the latter was about $25 (plus shipping) and described as a slightly less good stone than a thuringian/escher.

What I've gathered from the four different chinese hones is that if you get a good one, it will be even and hard. If you get a dud, it will be relatively hard compared to some synthetics, but not be hard enough to avoid self slurrying. The good ones give you a wide range to use, but they are not particularly strong cutters. They are probably a 4k grit stone equivalent or so with a slurry that is not too diulted and cut strongest with a small to moderate amount of slurry without too much water - just enough to keep them from being dry. They cut finest with the slurry cleared off and can match most anything with some touch. Not a good full bevel stone because of the cutting characteristics, but a good stone to use with touch hollow grinding - if not soft. If the stone is soft, you can cut it up for nagura for other natural stones. It will reward experimentation if you're willing to use it the way it wants to be used. I don't think most people would find them to be a favorite stone for woodworking, but the good ones are nice for finishing a straight razor. they do reasonably well with carbon steel carving tools if someone is looking for an alternative to an expensive hard ark, and the edge they create responds very well to a bare leather strop (the abrasive is a shallow groove maker when not slurried, like a coticule or arkansas stone).

The MST "thuringian" is not similar to a razor stone as some very unscrupulous retailers suggest (just because escher labeled stones are very valuable). An escher will finish a razor, the MST "thuringians" won't. They are coarse and softer. Vintage thuringians for razors and vintage labeled eschers are a vastly different thing. The MST stones may make a decent stone to put a hazy finish on a knife, but sharpness will be lacking. I couldn't find a good use for tools, but you may be able to use the stone prior to the chinese hone if you get a good hard chinese hone. They are a no-man's-land hone unless they are paired with something else that needs a stone that is not fast or fine to precede it.

Hi stewie, I would like to revise a couple of things I said, as it looks like that seller has copied the explanation from timberline tools (who originally linked those MST slates and sold some at very high prices). The seller you linked (razors.pl) is a reputable seller, and the only more reliable source for the chinese stones is mujingfang (they come in a yellow and brown box from mujingfang). I have bought stones from razors.pl and he is an honest seller. Timberline had sold some examples for as much as $290, IIRC, which is what you'd expect to pay for a labeled escher in some sizes (those are not good tool stones, but they are very good razor stones).

Also I should revise my statement about the 4k for slurried chinese stones, they do vary some, and one of the four that I've had makes an excellent and consistent fine edge on slurry, just not quite razor level, but a superb tool edge. Others are a little more coarse.

Hopefully, you will get a good example of both (hoping your MST is finer than mine, they do vary some), and hopefully your chinese stone will be as good as the two good ones I have - they are a pleasure to use when you get a good one, much like a hard japanese natural stone but at a fraction of the cost.

memzey":r4gefqdu said:
whiskywill":r4gefqdu said:
D_W":r4gefqdu said:
An escher will finish a razor, the MST "thuringians" won't. They are coarse and softer.

Never has a truer word been said. These are the only Thuringians I had heard of. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=thuri ... oQ_AUIBigB

You guys sound like the kids in my office talking about Pokemon :)

There are adults playing pokemon? I've seen a lot on the news and on the internet about people playing pokemon, but I haven't actually met someone doing it.

D_W":2d0lzr4b said:
There are adults playing pokemon? I've seen a lot on the news and on the internet about people playing pokemon, but I haven't actually met someone doing it.

I have a relative in NZ and she mentioned how grown people were parked up at parks/etc searching for these things. She was there in her car for her son to collect his. lol

its a bizarre world we live in - or they do!

Back