Leonard Lee has died (1938 – 2016)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The poem on the obit is interesting -
A Piece of Wood
by Henry Rohr

Every possibility is sleeping in such a piece of wood
It depends on you
how you look at it
what you see in it-

some useless obstacle in your way
fuel to light your fire
material
to build a fence around your isolation
to build a house- a door- a table.

OR a challenge
waiting just for you
to be set free
to be called to life.

The woodcarver, the artist sees it like that.

He takes it in his hands
and sees the hidden life
and makes it speak
Of growth and death
joy and pain
all the mysteries of life.

All this is contained
in a piece of wood.

What a shame, I've long been a fan of Lee Valley and Veritas, both their tools and what they stood for in the philanthropic sense. I bought his seminal book on sharpening many years ago and still don't think there's anything to touch it. RIP Mr Lee...one of the good guys.

Random Orbital Bob":1tjtz12t said:
What a shame, I've long been a fan of Lee Valley and Veritas, both their tools and what they stood for in the philanthropic sense. I bought his seminal book on sharpening many years ago and still don't think there's anything to touch it. RIP Mr Lee...one of the good guys.
+1

RIP Mr Lee.

With respect, Vann.

A sad loss - he built up a great company and to visit one of his shops in Canada, on a number of occasions, was a very happy experience.
RIP

Rod

Whenever I got the chance to visit a city with a Lee Valley outlet , I made it a high spot on the priority list. Wonderful places for men to go and become little kids again. Breathless , staring and often ventilating audibly over the showroom examples in their display cases. Both my wife and I would make a full circuit of each store we visited , pointing out items of interest (tools and shop goodies for me , gardening and cooking goodies for her) and then argue good-naturedly about which of us could afford what from our pooled funds. Thank you Mr. Lee for such a wonderful place for both serious tools and equipage and for some truly inventive and sometimes whacky gadgetry. I know that Rob will continue the great idea , but that does not mean that I won't miss a man I never even met. Rest well Leonard Lee, your legacy is large.

Very sad. But what a legacy he leaves behind - that's a life that has been lived.

Jonny

Back