Exterior Vaneer Oak Door - finish advice please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Togalosh

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening Gents,

I have bought an oak veneered stable door & now need to treat it, so I am in need of some sage advice on what to use please. I have read some previous threads on this topic but none mentioned that they had veneered doors ..but hopefully the OP's are still around to give an update on what they chose & how it faired.

I bought a veneered door much against my initial judgement as I was assured that it would perform better than a solid door (I was also told that a solid oak door would be illegal to import as it wouldn't be FSC.. should I have left the shop at this point ?). Anyway I was given a tin of Rustins Flexterior which came highly recommended & when I questioned any ongoing (annual) maintenance it would likely incur & said I'd prefer an oil I was told that oil would ruin the veneer...so:

1) Would you agree with any of the advice I was given (engineered veneered doors are more stable, Oil is bad for veneered doors etc)
2) No one recommended Rustins in previous threads - is this because it is rubbish ?
3) What would you recommend ?

It is a back door that will be in full shade & therefore quite damp, no porch & with small dogs lightly scratching it to be let in 40 times a day.

As ever any advice would be much appreciated.

Togs

Polyurethane varnish, don't use any oils or waxes on veneered doors it will probably tell you that on the info sheet.

Hung 6 only last week and I must have hung hundreds of the howdens veneered oak doors and the decorators finished them in satin or Matt varnish.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

chippy1970":ci4t1k54 said:
Polyurethane varnish, don't use any oils or waxes on veneered doors it will probably tell you that on the info sheet.

Hung 6 only last week and I must have hung hundreds of the howdens veneered oak doors and the decorators finished them in satin or Matt varnish.

Thanks Chippy,

With so much experience - what is you opinion on veneered exterior doors please?

Togs

Togalosh":29eq5y8f said:
chippy1970":29eq5y8f said:

Thanks Chippy,

With so much experience - what is you opinion on veneered exterior doors please?

Togs
They're ok , very stable but you need to keep up the finish on them as they can damage easily if the rain gets in.

Also cheaper and really Good solid hardwood door will cost you a small fortune these days

Latest posts

Back