How to get scratches out and refinish a retro sideboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireH79

Reaction score
Hi. Picked up a Stonehill retro sideboard today which is beautiful apart from some scratches on it. It is fairly dark wood. Could anyone please suggest some techniques / products I could use to restore this piece please as new to this. Thank you.

I'll level with you, I know nothing about this. Definitely out of the shell though.

I got rid of some cup rings when someone suggested mayonnaise or toothpaste so I'm open to believing anything these days :)

It's the oil in walnuts that will help reduce the visibility of scratches, or not, depending on the finish and how deep the scratches go. So obviously if you have any walnut oil you can use that. Flaxseed oil (another name for linseed oil) can also be used for the same purpose if you have some of that.

If the finish on the sideboard is not merely a clear varnish or lacquer on a dark wood this trick won't work unfortunately.

Least is best, the walnut thing is always a good one to try first. Failing that, try some wood stain just on the scratch, or even a wax crayon of the same colour.

Back