TITAN TTB579PLN 204MM Planner thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wkerswell

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently bought this planner from Screwfix and have started to play with it.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb..._source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default
Out of the box the in feed bed inst parallel. I have put a few pieces through it to test it and am left with non straight edges and it doesnt seem to be making good contact with the blade even when set to take about 2mm off.

I have looked at the manual several times and cannot see anything about adjusting it. Does anyone have one and know of a way of doing it or should I take it back to exchange for a new one?

Thanks for any advice.

Have you "played" with the blades? It could be one, other or both aren't set right. One way to tell is running something through in thicknessing mode - if blades aren't straight the piece may start going through straight but will pull to one side and end up coming out squint.

It can be a bit of a faff using the blade setting tool as you really need to keep an eye on nothing moving when tightening down the bolts that secure the blades in place.

I have put a few pieces through the thicknesser and they have come out find so dont think its the blade. I will take some photos this evening when I get home.

I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but it sounds as though its the planner that you are having trouble with, if so once past the blades are you ensuring the timber is pressed down onto the outfeed table?

The best way I have found to set the blades is to ensure they are parallel and at the same level as the outfeed table, I know a lot of people say different, but that's the way I do it and it works perfectly for me, I use a piece of plate glass set on the outfeed table and let the blades spring up to the glass and nip up the bolts.

Mike

I think there are some bolts round by the fence that will adjust the table.

I picked one up 2nd hand and spent hours setting it up. I dont have the blade jig and as a novice I had a hard time setting the blades. There is adjustment on the table I'm sure.

Get some lubricating wax and do the table surfaces as I found mine stopped feeding after a while, but a coat of wax with wire wool and it flew through :)

I have the Axi version of what's basically the same machine - on the first one they sent me the infeed and outfeed tables weren't coplanar, they formed a slight V which led to the sort of problems you are describing. I just sent it back, and the second one was spot on. So I'd just return it - Screwfix are pretty good with returns in my experience.
Robin

@MikeJhn Thanks. I think I was doing it wrong at first but was not the cause of my problems.
I ended up returning it and getting a new one of the same model. The table came much more parallel and was able to adjust it a little bit so it was spot on. The joiner is working much better now however I am now having problems with the feed rollers using the thicknesser.

I was putting a 40mm wide piece through it and trying to take off .5mm and the chain jumped off for the feed rollers. stopping them from working. I managed to get them back on after a very long time then the fell off about 5 passes later. I gave up and came in for the day.

Anyone had a similar problem? Starting to get a bit frustrated with it now.

Never had the chain come off. I have had to clean the rollers to stop them from slipping but that's about it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think the problem is that it is TITAN. I bought their mitre saw it managed to cut one day's worth of decking before the mitre angle lock broke. Luckily I finished what I needed to cut and took it back and got a refund. Felt like free tool hire.

I did pick up a table saw from them too so I hope its not that bad. Going to be picking up my 3rd planer on the weekend. Hard to find anything much better around the same price. They seem to be mostly the same just re-branded.

I'm wondering about picking one of these up purely to use as a thicknesser - reason for that is space, so my question is whether I can remove the infeed and outfeed upper tables and still have the blades safely protected from fleshy accidents?

LancsRick":23ha5klv said:
I'm wondering about picking one of these up purely to use as a thicknesser - reason for that is space, so my question is whether I can remove the infeed and outfeed upper tables and still have the blades safely protected from fleshy accidents?

You'd just be making life hard for yourself. Limited cutting capacity and an inconvenient setup. You'd be much better off spending the extra £100 and getting a Thicknesser IMO.

Not tried to take the out feed one off but and sure the in feed one will come off. There is a guard to stop you touching the blade so should be ok. This does product around 4cm of snipe most of the times I have used it so I wouldn't recommend it as just a thinknesser. Does me well for what I need though.

Back