Myford ML8 Model S

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
Is this short bed model rare as suggested on the 'Lathes' site? If its rare how much is it worth compared to a standard sized setup?
I saw one recently on its original stand it looked quite good, anyone got one? What do you use it for? Could be a useful item as a woodworker with say a planer attachment outboard side and the bench saw inboard.

You can certainly fit a planer (and thicknesser attachment) outboard, also a band saw or a 10" disc sanding table. Inboard you can fit 8" table saw, 8" disc sander or a slot mortiser. Myford also made a cross slide for metal turning. The supplied motor is 3/4 HP single phase or 1/2 HP 3 phase so a bit underpowered for a table saw I think. I suppose the kit is worth using if you have it but I don't know if these attachments are worth sourcing otherwise, I always feel attachments are a bit of a pain personally. I can email you a brochure of attafhments if you want, just send me your email address

K

Careful - my ML8 was only 1/3rd HP. Some of these add ons are a little like B&D drill attachments - alright in their day when there was nothing better around, but a bit of an anachronism now. The little cross slide is good, though, as are the sanding tables.

The ML8 was originally fitted with a 3/4 HP single phase or 1/2 HP three phase motor, still under powered for some attachments. Myford stopped supplying attachments some while before they stopped production of the lathe itself. Perhaps they realised the day of the attachment was coming to an end.

K

Back