Royal Mail.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIGNAL

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just spent 15 minutes trying to track a parcel that I sent to the Netherlands. None of the number codes are accepted by their tracking box.
I've just discovered that their small parcel 'Royal Mail international tracked & signed' service. . . . . doesn't include tracking. :shock: Which is why none of the number codes work.
They've wasted 15 minutes of my life!

It does include tracking til it leaves the country, then if it goes missing on the other side you're insured, depending on the country they can track the other side

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I've used DHL in the past and got the name and signature of the person receiving the parcel in Bilbao Spain on the internet in about 30 minutes of signing for it; with full tracking across Europe . BUT, it costs an arm and a leg.

Brian

Bizarre. Where's my tracking number then? I paid online and printed the address label. I've looked everywhere on my Royal Mail account and I can't find a code that works. In fact I can only find two sequences of numbers, both of them rejected by their tracking box. Tried them a few times. The parcel couldn't possibly have left these shores, unless it was processed in record breaking time.
Maybe it's a problem with my browser/printer? I can't find any number that works, not that I can find many number codes anyway.

finneyb":2mtiwrdk said:
I've used DHL in the past and got the name and signature of the person receiving the parcel in Bilbao Spain on the internet in about 30 minutes of signing for it; with full tracking across Europe . BUT, it costs an arm and a leg.

Brian

Fedex once picked up a large box from my house. It was 2:30 pm. It was signed for in Graz, Austria the next day at 11:00 am.
Cost him £240 though. That was for the shipping alone, not the box contents!

Don't give me a link to that tracking, I've been there numerous times, I'm sick of seeing it!

As for the other link. Nope, didn't get any of those. Just a label done on my printer through the RM website.
I took the box to the local PO and asked if they gave a receipt. They told me that the receipt was whatever I had done online. Made sense. I walked away. Maybe my local PO should have given me a tracking number? First time I've paid and printed online with the RM though, so I've no idea.

I'm sorry, I think you're right, I don't think the Royal Mail tracking works outside the UK, regardless of what your post office told you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But it didn't work in the UK either. It didn't work at all full stop. For some odd reason I haven't got a tracking number and no matter how hard I look I can't find one.
My local PO just told me I didn't need a receipt. I didn't ask them about tracking. I just assumed I could track it through my RM account. The confirmation email that RM sent me doesn't even mention tracking. It just gives me a link to login to my account.

MIGNAL":2i69q95j said:
Just a label done on my printer through the RM website.

Then the tracking number should have been printed on that label underneath the barcode, it did have a barcode I presume?

When I've given such a number printed on a label to recipients they have been able to check delivery estimates.

No barcode as such. It did have one of those 2D box code thingies! Don't really know what they call them. No number underneath it though. I've tried printing the label a couple of times and it prints exactly the same each time. Everything is there but not the usual barcode, just that box code.

Sorry, I meant more that even if it did work inside the UK, I don't think that the tracking works outside the UK anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's confusing. Click on this RM Price finder (select overseas, country, weight, select small parcel):

http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder

After you have gone through the selection process the top most box states 'Royal Mail. International tracked and signed'. But if you look at the 4 th box on (Tracking) it just states 'Delivery confirmation'.

That may well be the explanation. They didn't say anything to me though.
I also don't understand why their online payment system didn't issue me with some sort of tracking number. Every other post/carrier that I've used online (pretty much all of them!) gives a tracking number and a link as soon as you pay online. Crikey! even the ultra cheap and ultra slow Hermes can manage that.
The RM online instructions are very poor. It really needs someone to go through it so that everything is clearly laid out and you know exactly what you should be getting.

These three options are on the royal mail site, check VERY carefully which one you chose.
Sometimes you can make an error and not see it repeatedly when back tracking.

"International Tracked & Signed
Tracked & Signed is a combination service offering full end-to-end tracking, signature on delivery and an online delivery confirmation.

International Tracked
Ideal for sending important or valuable goods, offering tracking at five points after despatch as well as an online confirmation of delivery.

International Signed
Your item will be tracked until it leaves the UK and only handed over at its final destination once we have a signature from the recipient."

did you get as far as this page?

"Enter your reference number
Enter your reference number
Your tracking code is between 9-21 characters and may be called a reference number, a barcode or simply a reference. Please do not add any spaces or hyphens (-).
Enter your reference number
E.g. AB586985609GB
Track item
Find your reference number
Special Delivery Guaranteed

Post Office® Receipt
Learn where to find your tracking number on your label, Post Office receipt or Something for you card.
You’ll find your reference number on your tracking label or Post Office® receipt.
More on finding reference numbers."

You said you did not get a receipt, did you get a tracking label?

Mignal, when you took the parcel to the post office it looks they should have stuck a tracking label on it and given you a receipt.

On a more positive note the item is highly likely to arrive fine anyway. Also if I were you I'd get on to rm complaints to get your money back on the cost of the tracking and so that they know the po made a mistake (and thy can deal with them)

LarryS":cx265f0v said:
Mignal, when you took the parcel to the post office it looks they should have stuck a tracking label on it and given you a receipt.
On a more positive note the item is highly likely to arrive fine anyway. Also if I were you I'd get on to rm complaints to get your money back on the cost of the tracking and so that they know the po made a mistake (and thy can deal with them)

No I don't believe the Post Office needed to give Mignal a tracking label as he said he did it all online.
His local Post Office then became just a drop off point for the parcel.
When doing this it's also an idea to ask the Post Office for a Proof of Sending receipt which they should easily provide.

The fact he doesn't have a tracking code suggests my understanding is correct, either way get in touch with rm and get it from the horses mouth, and you're money back [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Back