Replacing lathe motor and controller

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much, I thought I'd ordered the wrong version then. L3 just gets left empty then. I'm gonna stand now instead of sitting cause I feel a weights been lifted off my shoulders.

Coley

You will probably find there are 3 inputs because the inverter is probably suitable for single or 3 phase input. Live to L1 and Neutral to L2, L3 blank. That is what my instructions say and mine looks the same make as yours (optidrive?).

K

It does seem like it might do more than just the purpose I bought it for. Yeah it's an optidrive e3. I've been watching videos of it on YouTube and apparently it can be set to run dc motors ! I'm almost tempted to try the old motor, just a little hesitant incase the 'motor expert ' cooked it by wiring it straight to 240v.

This new 3 phase motor is gonna take a considerable amount of fitting. The new mount holes kind of foul the old holes that have a tapped thread. I think the only way around it is to drill right through (even if it catches the old hole) and just bolt it on. It'll also need a new larger motor guard and the lathe cover attacking so the new motor can fit.

I wonder if the old motor would work. It'd still lack power, perhaps knacker the inverter if it is kaput.
I'll carry on with the 3 phase :)

It's quite a challenge for me to try and learn this, but I'm sure it'll be well worth it if I can. On taking the old electrics to bits I think I've figured out all the safety switches (belt door open,chuck guard open etc) it almost looks like there wired in a ring and if any are open the circuit is broken. I was gonna do away with these but I think it might be easy enough to use them in the circuit (not between inverter and motor)

Cheers all, goodnight.

Coley

Back