Pole lathe chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stiggy

Established Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find a decent supplier of hook chisels for pole lathes online - does anyone know of one?

Well Sir Rob, I have been asked by a local company if I would like to take part in Saxon type skill days for schools.

They are willing to make me a top class pole lathe at no cost to myself but I have to provide the chisels as they have no idea of what is needed.

I have a friend who has a forge and can make them, but for ease I would like to find a company that makes them as I can't be a r s e d to have to quality control and spend my time overseeing them being made.

Stiggy":201p59oy said:
Well Sir Rob, I have been asked by a local company if I would like to take part in Saxon type skill days for schools.

They are willing to make me a top class pole lathe at no cost to myself but I have to provide the chisels as they have no idea of what is needed.

I have a friend who has a forge and can make them, but for ease I would like to find a company that makes them as I can't be a r s e d to have to quality control and spend my time overseeing them being made.

Wow...what a fantastic opportunity. Good for you old son :)

Cheers Rob, a million miles from making a living, but have moved on LOADS since buying that CL4 off you - one of the best purchases I have ever made - no exaggeration.

Spot on Ian, thanks mate!

These things do seem to be pricey! I may end up getting my friend to make them after all!

:)

The stuff they sell is usually top notch - but it ain't cheap! I work on the basis that good tools are always worth having. It's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :)

I would not dare contradict such good advice Ian!

However...I am a cheap S O B and I just had a lightbulb moment. My friend makes bush craft knives and folds the steel himself, so since he owes me a few favours, I've asked him if he can make me a couple for the cost of the steel - if they're rubbish then I've only lost a small lump of cash and I will buy 'proper' ones and he can reuse the steel for his own purposes and it costs me nothing!

(I really do love your photo - I hope me and MY beard look that cool in a few years!)

You can buy those bowl hooks directly from Ben Orford, who is the only person I know to make them for sale.

If you have not turned a bowl on the pole lathe before, you could do worse than watch Ben's YouTube videos to get you started. If you want to do it seriously, learning to forge your own tools is part of the job .

I think there are one or two Bushcraft shows later in the year Stiggy. You may find some green wood turning tools there and maybe even a pole lathe in action.

Cheers guys, I'm going to definitely ask my friend to make them - he says it should be simple and a LOT easier than making a forge, buying an anvil, hammer and related tools and learning a completely different skillset just to see if I like pole turning!

Thanks for your input though.

:D

I went on a two and a half day Blacksmiths course a few years back and it was a fantastic couple of days.

If you haven't used a pole lathe at all before (?), it is a brave move to start with bowls. Usually folk start with spindle turning, which you can do with fairly regular chisels - though many prefer carbon steel tools ground at 25-30 degrees to the modern HSS types. I use old Henry Taylor carbon steel tools. Take a finer edge so easier on the leg. You might want a wider roughing gouge than with a power lathe.

For bowls or goblets you do need the hooks, and usually a lathe designed with bowls in mind - heavier duty, centers and tool rest designed to suit hollowing.

It is a lot of fun and much more peaceful than power toolery though. Good luck !

Back