UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Brian, I second Keith. I would be fascinated to watch this project develop. Good luck with it.

Claymore":onyrjeu5 said:
The Z Hanger bars have arrived today and look ideal for the Kite project, they cost £37.00 so better be good :shock:
Cheers Naz for the info on these, never heard of French Cleats until you mentioned these.
Brian
Ouch! You can make them out of two lengths of 2"x1" planing a chamfer on both pieces if you haven't got a table saw or a bandsaw. They are surprisingly strong for hanging wall cupboards etc.

Regards Keith

Claymore":porm74t7 said:
aye Keith...... they were expensive but will do as you suggest for the next one..... I am getting paid well for it so not too bothered this time....
They are a simple idea but i can see how they would work well for cupboards as well, do they also need to screw tha cupboards to the wooden cleats or do they just hang? pardon my ignorance but its all new to me.
Cheers
Brian
Yes Brian screw one cleat to the item to be fixed and the other cleat to the wall. You also need to screw another plain batten to either the wall or the bottom of the cupboard so the cupboard doesn't tilt. The posh ones you bought make the fixing a lot thinner and for a well paid job will look nicer.

Regards Keith

Looking really good Brian. Thanks for posting.

Just as an aside, the Red Kites here ("Rote Milan") are said to have a wingspan of up to 1.1 Metres (i.e. a bit over 40 inches, but that's the biggest ones). I THINK the ones in Scotland are a LITTLE smaller wingspan (correct?), if so your new project is getting on for 1.5 times full size! No wonder it's going to be heavy!

Still want to see pix of it being installed at the Visitor's Centre.

AES

Ah, interesting. The book I consulted here suggested ours were sometimes the biggest "in Europe". Obviously they don't include UK (and/or just Scotland?) as part of Europe ("Fog in the Channel. Continent cut off", and all that). :D

Though I haven't of course seen your work "in the flesh" so to speak, from what I've seen here I can well understand why visitors are enthusiastic about it. Well deserved. When you go to the Visitor's Centre, do you/does your better half make sure that you've cleaned your shoes and got all the dried glue off your hands?

If so I suggest you don't bother next time, then the other visitors will think you're just the local handy man come to fix the loos or something! :D

Keep up the good work and thanks for posting.

AES

An after though P.S: Interesting that you see the birds on the ground. We almost never see that here. On a post perhaps (rarely) but normally either flying, landing after something they've seen (but they never stay down very long) or up in the trees, of which we have plenty here.

Sounds like a great visit Brian. They fly low over our house quite a lot (but I've never had my camera handy, shame - and one day I sat outside for over an hour, all ready to go, but of course not a sniff)! But I guess we don't have more than 3 or 4 pairs around here regularly.

We also have quite a few "moise buzzarde" (mouse buzzards?) which are a similar size and colouring but as far as I can see, the only difference is the kite has a forked-ish tail whereas the m.b. has a pretty blunt delta shape tail. The m.b. wings are slightly "stumpier" (lower aspect ratio) too.

Your Centre sounds great though, yet another item to add to our list. But it's a bit far from here though. Where's your nearest airport, or what about the train?

Sorry for the thread drift. Keep up the good work and posts please.

AES

Latest posts

Back