Panel saw or wall saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deema

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into either getting a Panel saw or a Wall saw, and can't work out which is the best. My research indicates that a wall saw has many advantages over a panel saw, however, it seems that wall saws are no longer that popular with most people I know having a space hungry panel saw.

The advantages of a wall seem seem to be
1. I can load it easier, I'm predominantly on my own so lifting 18mm sheets onto a flat table isn't something I enjoy on my own. However getting them on a wall saw is easy.
2. Wall saws can have scribing blades and can also plunge which a panel saw can't.
3. They can cut angles as well as straight cuts.
4. They use up less floor space.
5. The only disadvantage I can find is that I haven't found one that can cut a bevel.
6.The wall saw does need the battens replacing once in a while.

I've convinced myself that I must not be looking at this correctly and have missed out on some key advantage of the panel saw. Your views and recommendations would be appreciated.

The big difference is thst a wall saw is a dedicated wall cutting machine.

A panel saw can do everything a dimension can as well as cut sheets.

Using the outrigger fence, a panel saw will cut solid timber to length. Using the rip fence allows all options for ripping solid timber.

The sliding table allows huge options for jigs. Fix a piece of ply or mdf to the sliding table, fix on battens for stops and some toggle clamps, you have a super accurate cutting jig. I make roof lanterns and it to cut plumb, seat and compound jack cuts to 1/4 degree accuracy.

Disadvantages.....space a panel saw needs a huge space if you want to routinely cut 8 x 4 sheets just think about needing 8ft in front of the blade, 8ft behind, 8ft on the outrigger side, 4ft on rip fence side. Loading and unloading a panel saw can be awkward on your own, esp if you dont have much head room. A bit of thought can help overcome that though.

Its probably easier to get a decent panel saw than a decent wall saw 2nd hand. Also I believe wall saws need careful setting up and calibrating during installation. Pro wall saws are quite big money, I think.

I'm with you, Deema. Get a decent wall saw ad a small table saw for doing all the other things that you might use a panel saw for.

Humping massive heavy sheets of 18mm stuff is great for the workload of physiotherapists and chiropractors.

Back