Switch socket with USB port...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've bought a couple from Amazon. Easy to install, great for freeing up plugs when charging. Well worth it from my perspective

I bought some recently when I did my girls rooms. £6.99 from Screwfix. I like them and so do the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screwfix had a deal on these recently. Fitted a few. In my opinion they are good. As said above, frees up space and you know it's always going to be there rather than kids stealing your charger.

I've been using the Wickes one for about a year now and it's been great. Just bought another one for a different room.

Yes have fitted a few with no problems. Some of them need a slightly deeper wall box to allow them to fit so maybe watch out and buy 1 to see if it fits your house/wall box before buying loads.

The Wickes one I bought fits into a 25mm back box and complies with BS5733 + EN60950 whatever that is.*

*Someone else can look it up as I'm going to bed ... :lol:

I've fitted 3 around the house, bought from Scewfix last July £13 each, all were a straight swap with what was already there and I really rate them. It frees up sockets and everyone is impressed.

I went to B&Q a few months ago to buy some remote control sockets for my vac system in the workshop ( I had some from them before but one had broken ) They said they didn't sell them anymore but offered me a USB socket instead !!!
Don't think I will shop with them again :)

That magazine article could have been really useful if it actually mentioned any brand names but as it is it's completely useless as I think we all know there is a lot of dangerous rubbish coming out of the Far East. Curious as well that they deliberately published very poor quality pictures of the products as well to defeat any attempt at identification.

This one looks good but sadly requires a 35mm deep back box.

http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com ... 230028.pdf

Surely if your socet boxes are the older steel type set into blockwork, the built in USB would be safer than one plugged in separately? (Living in a timber house, all modern phone/tablet/whathaveyou chargers scare the shhhh out of me)

Main draw back (other than safety) for me is what happens when the power supply fails (which it inevitably will). You are replacing a whole wall socket, rather than just the adaptor...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Grahamshed":3jus95q4 said:
I went to B&Q a few months ago to buy some remote control sockets for my vac system in the workshop ( I had some from them before but one had broken ) They said they didn't sell them anymore but offered me a USB socket instead !!!

Graham - Was that lightwaverf sockets by chance? If so you can still get them from Maplin

DiscoStu":a33l93sc said:
Grahamshed":a33l93sc said:

Graham - Was that lightwaverf sockets by chance? If so you can still get them from Maplin

I don't remember now Stu but I found some good ones in Homebase at a decent price, They work exactly the same way.

Back