computer advice please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gilljc

Established Member
Reaction score
Not really scroll saw advice, but connected for me.
I have finally totally scrambled the brain of my old laptop, and have just ordered a new one.
The advice I need is about what else I need to get for it, I'm sure that in early years office was already installed when I bought a computer?
Anyway, do I need Microsoft office, which version?
I mainly use computer for storing pics and patterns, for email (the bit I have really got in a mess with), facebook, internet and occasionally use word for letters etc. will install inkscape again as I use it a lot for cobbling together images for patterns.
When I get the new one, I may be able to get the old one away to be unscrambled
remember the old joke about the woman who asked where to get 710 for her car engine? That's me with computer stuff......

You might want to add Gimp as well as Inkscape ...

Also Adobe Acrobat Reader for PDF's

Microsoft Office is seldom required for Scroll saw stuff :) but whatever else you need it for will define which version you require

Martin

Do you need Microsofy Office ? Only you can answer that. I doubt a new computer will come with it pre-installed, you'ld need to buy it. You can probably only get the latest version now anyway. Or use Libre Office /Open Office which doesn't need to be paid for to use legally. Email, you may be able to use your browser and webmail if your provide provides a webmail interface, if not, Mozilla Thunderbird is a free email client which works well. For internet stuff (browser), Firefox or Chrome or Opera. If you are getting a windows PC it'll come with Internet Explorer anyway. Regarding Inkscape, which I know nothing about, it may not be compatible with your new computer.

JSW":1hxes0hu said:
Forget buying Microsoft Office, you don't need it, try OpenOffice instead.
+1 I'm gently moving over completely to OO and find it's so close to MS Office the there's hardly any learning to do.
Nice and legally free too.

Hi Gill. I feel a back up external drive would be a good investment to give you peace of mind. I use microsoft office for most of my name signs, it's so quick and easy, I use an apple i mac and it's the 2008 version of office that does it for me. I have tried the latest version of office and found it a nightmare trying to navigate and it took ages to make a simple name sign so hopefully the 2008 version will last me a bit longer.

Aggrajag":3qvceho8 said:
Windows 10 comes with a free email client
It's not free it's included in your Windows licence which isn't free. But if it works and you are happy with Microsoft, why not use it. Webmail makes life an awful lot easier though.

Gill.

Warning, whatever else you do, don’t have Windows 10, as an operating system, in my opinion it is complete rubbish. Unfortunately I had Windows 8.1, so Windows 10 was down loaded to my computer automatically I had no choice. I think Windows 10, is intended for the computer literate, but not for the none computer savvy like me. :?

It also makes the computer run very slow, and dumps you out of Web sites after a few minuets normally when visiting a site like this, to post a comment I have to revisit the site at least a couple of times, I get this annoying message (Hm this page can’t be displayed) or words to that effect.

Also if you have Windows 10, Microsoft can monitor every move you make on the internet, and you cannot stop them, apparently the right to do this is hidden in their (terms and conditions). :evil:

Take care.

Chris.

thanks all - a huge help, am really grateful :D
new computer should arrive tomorrow, it comes with windows 10 which I have resisted downloading onto current computer, so will see how I get on.
have already got all important stuff (Patterns etc) on a hard drive
Years ago I had a version of word on a computer that allowed me to do all sorts of fancy stuff with wordart, but my present one doesn't, hence inkscape, which I still don't understand very well, but there are some excellent tutorials by a guy called Travis, who I have 'met' before on Steve Good's forum
Am really chuffed I won't need to spend a fortune on a programme I hardly use =D>
fingers crossed I don't scramble the new computer too soon :roll:

EEk! just read you reply ChrisR, sorry, but hope it's your machine, really need things to be easier :shock:

gilljc":2w4zo173 said:
it comes with windows 10
Don't worry, it'll be fine on a new system. Don't pay any attention to the opinions of people who claim not to know anything about a subject.

mseries":wcidxqh5 said:
sounds like you have a dodgy machine ChrisR, what you describe isn't normal behaviour for Windows10

Read the reviews on Microsoft own site, there are thousands of reviews, I only scanned down through a few hundred, and there was not a good word said in favour of 10, made my review which I thought was almost libel, to be quite mild in comparison.

Also, forgot to say in my other post, my Email has not worked since Windows 10, forced its way onto my computer. :evil:

Chris.

ChrisR":11db67vq said:
Windows 10, forced its way onto my computer
You have a choice. If you don't like what you've done installing 10, revert to your previous version of Windows.

gilljc":1o0k7tvb said:
EEk! just read you reply ChrisR, sorry, but hope it's your machine, really need things to be easier :shock:
Pre-installed it'll almost certainly be OK, if not send it back.

ChrisR":17joykyw said:
mseries":17joykyw said:
sounds like you have a dodgy machine ChrisR, what you describe isn't normal behaviour for Windows10

Read the reviews on Microsoft own site, there are thousands of reviews, I only scanned down through a few hundred, and there was not a good word said in favour of 10, made my review which I thought was almost libel, to be quite mild in comparison.

Also, forgot to say in my other post, my Email has not worked since Windows 10, forced its way onto my computer. :evil:

Chris.
Shan't be doing that, no real interest in Microsoft Windows, I switched to Linux years ago.

I tried window 8 and 8.1 and hated them, reverted to 7. Finally did the free upgrade to 10 about 6 months ago flawlessly (this is on a 5 year old PC) and I think it's great. Everything works 100%, not one single problem.

That's reassuring, currently on windows 7, so hopefully will be able to cope with the differences :D

Rhossydd":2m30z0p3 said:
ChrisR":2m30z0p3 said:
Windows 10, forced its way onto my computer
You have a choice. If you don't like what you've done installing 10, revert to your previous version of Windows.

I did not install Windows 10, as I was running 8.1, Windows 10 installed automatically, I did not understand the operation of 8.1, and understand even less with 10, despite getting a Dummies book on 10.

(Evan the Dummies books are getting to technical, for my generation). :?

I had XP Media version for many years, I was comfortable with that, but only used the basic moves, never used the Media part.

Take care.

Chris.

Back