Help with sizing mortise and tenons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning a small workbench/assembly table build for crosscutting/routing with a Festool rail as well as hand planing. It will be 1500x750mm with the height to match my router table. The top will be a MFT style 18mm mdf.

My legs will be 4x4", rails will be 2x4". The top rails will be at the same height up the legs on each side. I'd like the rails to sit flush with front face of the legs as I want to fit t-track up one leg and along the front. I might need to use 2x4" across the width of the top to support the mdf and keep it flat.

I'm not sure what size I should make my mortise and tenons. I was planning to cut the mortises with a router and clean up with a chisel. I plan to cut the tenons using the depth stop on my mitre saw.

Basically it will be something like this.

I was originally thinking about using the domino 500 but guess it probably needs more substantial joints.
Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Im not sure the rails are large enough if the bench is used for hand planing.

Maybe the domino 500 would be strong enough if you used 8 inch rails -maybe those on here with dominos would know how strong they are.

A Domino 500 will be plenty strong enough if you use multiple tenons in each joint. It's not like you plan on parking a locomotive on top of the table and it will actually be stronger and more rigid than Festool's original MFT table!

The bench should be really strong, it has to take some punishment at times.
Traditionally, the mortice and tenon, for this type of job are glued and pegged in place, so you have the proven strength and reliability of the joint over many years past.
The Domino is a short cut, for a stub mortice and tenon and relying on the glue alone.
If you're happy with that then i suggest you use 6x2 rails or apron and fit 3 domino's each end and get some decent glue!
Depending on what vice you will be fitting, You may need to check if the front apron should be wider.
Personally I would have used a bare faced tenon, pegged and glued into the 4x4's
Regards Rodders

Thanks everyone.

So would you upgrade both top and bottom rails to 2x6"?

Bare faced tenon? Haven't come across those. Will have a search. What's the advantage of those?

The main thing I'm not sure about is the sizing of the tenons, any suggestions?
Cheers
Dave

Here's a How to from this very forum, from a bloke called Charley.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/how-tos/joi ... joint.html

For strength I would cut a bare face tenon for strength, using half the thickness of the rail or apron, it's just half a tenon really, It's a space saving thing, Google bare faced tenon it will no doubt reveal all.
I mentioned a wider rail for the front depending on what vice you are going to use, there's many choices out there, and having planned the vice you will use the rail or apron ti suit the vice.
HTH Regards Rodders

Back