Country scene pattern wanted

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I'm gonna be a bit cheeky posting in here if that's o.k. A while ago I bought a massive 3ft-4ft circular saw blade from eBay. Mostly cost I just liked the look of it and the other part thinking it'd make a nice garden ornament, perhaps to just leave rusting away.
I stumbled across a few pics of people that had cut out circular saw blades similar to this-
755fad0bb9a4047ad093e678b3148ebc.jpg

5dc70d114ca76677a02a801a62bace4c.jpg

2e43e4343020810777d0b08ba3331407.jpg

Is there anywhere I could look that might have something similar to what I'm after. The last pic is the closest I could find to an English country scene, a lot of what I've found is American, eagles etc.
It'd be nice to have enough detail to look interesting but not overly intricate. Hopefully the blade I have is old so won't be toughened, if it does take 30 metal cutting jigsaw blades I think it'd be money well spent and entertaining ;)
Once I can find a circular pattern I'll print it out and use a overhead projector to get the pattern the right size on the blade.
Any pointers would be gratefully received, one day I'll get a decent hegner !!!

Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks for those links chaps, I'll have a look at them in front the pc tonight ;) last night I spent a couple hours browsing through 1000s of patterns. At the moment I've got about 15 that I'm still looking at that would do, but none have really jumped out as being the ideal one. I'm probably being a bit too fussy but I'd like to find one that feels right before the screeching begins :)
I had most success googling plate scrollssaw pattern even then I struggled keeping concentration by seeing loads of other stuff that looked amazing !

Cheers
Coley

Bit of an update with this. stevegoods site had loads of patterns, very similar to the ones I was looking at buying from another site. I found a few that I think will look o.k, just about to set the projector up and shine on the blade. I can see how scrolling could become very addictive. I've seen quite a few patterns that aren't suitable for this but they just look amazing so have been added to my 'to do' folder.
Cheers
Coley

gilljc":1q5lrwe9 said:
looking forward to seeing the finished project :)
:lol: me to, I'm already having doubts on whether a jigsaw will be up to the job.
705d68249b55b6a721218aa9e7273be3.jpg

fd6437e48de673b4a691d2e5d06b89d8.jpg

That's the easy bit done. I just need to think of something to fill the big gap on the top left hand side
ace75f777ee49947e538fbc1f02d8f5c.jpg

I can't draw to save my life so it might get entertaining ;)

Coley

Claymore":hav9zycd said:
That will be great if ya manage to pull it off! better you than me though lol what about putting some overhanging tree branches to the top left?
Have fun
Brian
Brian I'd have loved to do the tree thing but I just haven't got the drawing ability to do it ! After watching a few people on YouTube freehand cutting with a plasma I've realised if it doesn't cut with a jigsaw it's not gonna be possible at all :|
The other concern is a small width jigsaw blade kerf probably isn't going to be clear enough when trying to pick out the extra details on the pattern. That'll mean those detail parts will probably need widening to be visible from a distance. One good thing though is I can probably do away with a few bits that are there to hold more delicate smaller pieces together.
This morning I traced what I've already got onto film, then I'm embarrassed to say googled pictures of clouds and tried to copy onto the film
55581a1c7ae0e9713acc5cf0fb182215.jpg

Not entirely sure if I'm happy with the outcome but I think it looks better than a big gap.
dd0610efa975633f3be849b53b9cfd7b.jpg

Hopefully I can leave everything set up today and have another look with a clear head in the morning. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the addition if poss. I've looked it at so much I can't decide anything now :lol:

i don't think that this will work with a jigsaw. what about a hand fret saw, with metal cutting blades? would have to be a big one though.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm definitely gonna be gutted if I can't do anything with it. Brian the grindy engraving thing could work, I guess I'd just need to alter the image a bit so it looks more like a drawing instead of a pattern. There's a few tight radius 's that will be difficult to turn using the blade but I'm hoping a few rough cuts near the line should be enough to get the metal to bend a bit.
If the whole blades hardened then I'm stuffed. Once I start drilling holes that'll probably give a good indication if it'll play nicely.
Ideally I need a waterproof jigsaw with a big bottle of coolant dripping onto the cut :) I'm looking forward to the first test cut/hole !

Cheers guys
Coley

84352a0ba9b98b19eaa2a62e82a26e94.jpg

Gutted ! Curiosity got the better of me so I tried jigsawing a small bit. New jigsaw blade doesn't touch it, the whole blade must be hardened :(

I managed to borrow a plasma cutter and began cutting last night. In hindsight I really really wish I'd practiced on something to start with. It's so difficult to try and follow a line but I suspect this is due to the plasma not being on the right setting.
View attachment 20160203
If I can get away with it I think I'll be able to put up with its raggedness and put it down to being my first practice piece. I've emailed the plasma company to see what settings they'd recommend and am itching to get back in the shop to have another try. I've borrowed it off of a friend of a friend. He seemed to think the current setting (25 amps 3 bar ) should be o.k, but Internet searching leads me to think it might be a bit off.

Cheers

Coley

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1454555649110.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1454555649110.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 919
Interesting videos ! That plywood cutting looks so clean and fast. I'm sure having it somehow cnc cut would have been the ultimate, but that would have taken the fun out of it, not to mention costing a few quid.
Here's a few progress pics
d7d86a789b68efc24d8992969436b14e.jpg

b8768b280d758b29f12ebde25f38fff0.jpg

6030eb0491b50fb7b2ea9c88c7fcd8a9.jpg

Once I chip all the rubbish off the back I'll have a better idea what else needs doing to the front. I've accepted up close it'll look rough, hopefully better further away- like most of the stuff I make :D
Coley

Up close it does look rough but from far away (i.e. your top two pics) it looks simply amazing; it truly is a work of art. I'd have that in my garden any day of the week!

Aggrajag":31iaod3c said:
Up close it does look rough but from far away (i.e. your top two pics) it looks simply amazing; it truly is a work of art. I'd have that in my garden any day of the week!
Thanks for your comment, its appreciated ;) its finished now which is a relief!
458e1710b466a3db5b4c92003984218f.jpg

The top curve (first bit I tried using a mdf template to do) is the bit that really spoils it imho- really wish I'd just done that bit freehand.
I reinforced the fence panel it was going on.
24dcd17ed55ce0175a512feeefbc3862.jpg

Then used some rusty bolt heads to hold the blade back.
fbab44ac9fe636584b0f1097d5d90f44.jpg

Pleased it's finally out the workshop, it was a steep but enjoyable learning curve !

Cheers
Coley

That's well impressive!

It looks great in the garden, and, as a garden ornament it will generally be viewed from a distance so any rough edges won't matter.

Like I said - impressive. I want one!

Phill

Back