Miter saw: Brand recommendation?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFS19

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into powered miter saws recently.
I was wondering what others thought of them in general and if they use one, which brands they recommend.

I don't have a table saw, so I've been using a circular saw and a home made rip fence for most of my cuts, and the apparent ease of use with the miter saw certainly appeals to me.

Thanks very much,

the regular bosch/makita/dewalt all good, just don't go for the very basic models.
got a large 305mm blade 10years old Ryobi (before they were decent brand) and it's better built and has more functions than my smaller bosch one.
what's your budget?

sitefive":3u683sv7 said:
the regular bosch/makita/dewalt all good, just don't go for the very basic models.
got a large 305mm blade 10years old Ryobi (before they were decent brand) and it's better built and has more functions than my smaller bosch one.
what's your budget?

Those were the three I was looking at. Also erbauer seemed to make a couple of interesting models.

Budget is about £200.

Thanks allot.

memzey":16p7d6wk said:
I've got a Makita LS1018 and it works a treat.

Hmm, I've got that one and have been thinking of writing a review of all the things I don't like about it. The main problem for me is that the blade's too small for what it's trying to do, the motor housing gets in the way and the laser on mine needed resetting. I'd recommend a scms with a bigger blade, if affordable.

It's not bad, I just find some things annoying.

You sure we're talking about the same one? It's the 10" version, will cut 4" deep and has a 12" cross cut capacity. The only bigger ones are 12" and more than most people need in terms of depth of cut (although it all depends on what you intend to use it for I suppose). Agree that setting the laser is a fiddly and iterative process though. Took me a while to get it spot on and since I did I've never used it! I just line the blade up on my cut line and go for it like everyone else I know. Makes me think lasers on these tools are a bit of a gimmick to be honest.

I agree with the laser point. I have a Makita flip over that I was given that has a 260m blade and is very similar to the 1040X model - appears to be the current version of my saw. No laser. And the one I use most which is a large old Elu that has no laser either. A laser is not something I would pay extra for. If I were buying one today I would be interested in large depth of cut (305mm ideally), at least 12" cross cut, easy blade change and very smooth slide action. Quite like double compound. If you are using it as a site saw as well they can be quite pain to lug around. Not sure I would pay a premium for a flip over. Side supports are very useful. The limited Makita kit I have had has been very reliable (and the Elu stuff is ancient and still going strong - but now a defunct brand sadly).

memzey":22ul4diw said:
You sure we're talking about the same one? It's the 10" version, will cut 4" deep and has a 12" cross cut capacity. .

Aha, you are absolutely correct and I misread the number on mine (must get new batteries for my specs).
Mine is actually the LS0815 (looked similar in the photo I looked up :oops: ) with 8 1/2" blade. It won't cut 4" deep which is another thing I don't like.

I retract any comment made about the LS1018.

Thought something was up Ross - the capacity of the LS1018 is one of the best things about it and part of that is because the motor housing is angled so as not to get in the way. I also find it to be very accurate and sturdy but the price you pay for that is that it is not the lightest 10" SCMS around by a long shot. I don't take it out and about so I'm not too bothered by that but moving it around the shed needs thought and commitment!

If you are ok to get an used one I seriously suggest these ryobi saws. can be had for less than £100 usually, even the thing is almost 10years old now it's a really well made and accurate beast, think they were £650-700 back in the day when new . It's a bit loud and just suuuper heavy ( 30+ kg) but can't compare it to anything you could buy for £200-250 from the good brands today new.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ryobi-Sliding ... 7675.l2557

I have an older Makita (the LS1013) and it's perfect. Seems to be a lot of love for the Makita saws on here if your budget stretches to one.

sitefive":9jrex9vf said:
If you are ok to get an used one I seriously suggest these ryobi saws. can be had for less than £100 usually, even the thing is almost 10years old now it's a really well made and accurate beast, think they were £650-700 back in the day when new . It's a bit loud and just suuuper heavy ( 30+ kg) but can't compare it to anything you could buy for £200-250 from the good brands today new.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ryobi-Sliding ... 7675.l2557

They do look good value.
I've found one thats near me on ebay, too, so I think i might bid for it.

Seems it would fit my needs well, thanks dor the heads up.

NazNomad":1ez0zg8g said:
I have an older Makita (the LS1013) and it's perfect. Seems to be a lot of love for the Makita saws on here if your budget stretches to one.

There does indeed.
I could probably stretch mt budget to but one, but then if the ryobi sitefive mentioned would do all I need, is built well and is acurate, I might be better saving the money and getting one of those.

If you buy a second hand one then please do make sure you check it thoroughly before handing over your money. Wonky fences, wobbly arbours and sticky sliders will lead to tons of frustration which will long outlive the benefit of having saved a couple of hundred pounds (if you can afford it that is). Then again if all you want to do is rough cut stuff to length or chop up firewood then none of this will make much difference and you might be better off getting an evolution saw new for about £100 or thereabouts. As ever it all depends on what you want to do with the tool. :eek:ccasion5:

memzey":rc6om6ye said:
If you buy a second hand one then please do make sure you check it thoroughly before handing over your money. Wonky fences, wobbly arbours and sticky sliders will lead to tons of frustration which will long outlive the benefit of having saved a couple of hundred pounds (if you can afford it that is). Then again if all you want to do is rough cut stuff to length or chop up firewood then none of this will make much difference and you might be better off getting an evolution saw new for about £100 or thereabouts. As ever it all depends on what you want to do with the tool. :eek:ccasion5:

Certainly. I'll be going along to test it myself before I take anything home.
The saw would be used for making more precise cuts.
I wouldn't need to use it very much for rough cuts.

I've seen a couple of older model matikias on ebay. Some cheaper or the same price as Ryobi models, so they also might be an option providing I can see them in working order first.
It's difficult because I have to find one in my area.

Thanks allot.

I think I searched for mine for over a month before I bought, Only really bought it as I needed the 305mm capacity, if you are ok what the 260mm provides I would much rather suggest some makita/bosch one as it won't be so massive/heavy and might be a few years newer model as well. transporting mine is just pain in the ass, even lifting it from ground to table really is a chore because of the size/weight of it
If I had to buy again and had £200 to spend, I would def. go again for an used saw and would get the bosch gcm12sd , If I wanted to spend again £100 than the ryobi

sitefive":lm1muw3t said:
I think I searched for mine for over a month before I bought, Only really bought it as I needed the 305mm capacity, if you are ok what the 260mm provides I would much rather suggest some makita/bosch one as it won't be so massive/heavy and might be a few years newer model as well. transporting mine is just pain in the ass, even lifting it from ground to table really is a chore because of the size/weight of it
If I had to buy again and had £200 to spend, I would def. go again for an used saw and would get the bosch gcm12sd , If I wanted to spend again £100 than the ryobi

Okay, thanks for the heads up. I'll bare that in mind.

I think you see a miter saw in the same way that I do and that is as a precision tool. When I was in the market for one the only second hand model I considered was the Makita LS1013 which really is a superb tool. Part of my reasoning was due to the availability of spares but also due to the real work robustness and durability which meant that even if it had had a bit of a hard life it could be fettled back to life. That and the fact that it was made in Britain so of better build quality than most other sensible options out there. In the end I decided to go for a new one so I had the benefit of dealer support and warranty if it wasn't 100% spot on. As I said earlier I'm very pleased with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone looking for an accurate 10" SCMS with loads of capacity.

The ryobi was also sold branded aeg. Maybe still is in europe. It is still sold under the ridgid brand name in US

Back