First ever home made wood plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damo8604

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
#-o ..........

My secret santa kindly sent me a Veritas wood plane kit so as I had a bit of time to myself this week, I thought I'd try and cobble it together.

I learned a few things this week:

1. Zero clearance inserts are fine until the weather causes the timber to swell
2. Anything made in USA/Canada tend to be in imperial units, this creates a problem when all my bits are metric.
3. When cutting wood, it's wise to check I'm cutting the correct face.
4. Making wood planes isn't as easy as it looks!

I cut one of the Beech blanks incorrectly so I had to use a bit of oak with Beech cheeks, I managed to get round the imperial to metric issue by wiggling the wood in the pillar drill to get that extra 5mm for the cross pin to fit, unfortunately I drilled the hole incorrectly so that the wedge didn't fit, I re-sawed it so that it fits but now it's a bit too thin.

It did sort of work and I managed to plane an old bit of sapele I had lying around but I'm not that happy with it, good thing is I can take it apart and do another one which I intend to do when I next have a bit of free time.... good fun though!

Attachments

• IMG-20160115-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20160115-WA0000.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 1,642
Full marks for getting out there and actually making something!

=D>

And bonus points for deciding to make it again and make it better!

=D> =D>

well done for completing the challenge. Fancy having problems working in English (Imperial measurements) hee hee I actually have the reverse problem as all of my tools are imperial as well as most of my drills/reamers etc.

Back