Chuck selection with possible reverse rotation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvestbarn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have recently bought a Record CL3 lathe and have just bought a new SK4 Professional Geared Scroll chuck package at a very good offer price from D & M Tools, it came with 3/4 x 16tpi adapter a set of standard 50mm jaws, a wood worm fixing screw and a 2" face plate all for £99.95 delivered. Having read the instructions I notice that when a thread adapter is used the chuck cannot be locked on so if I were ever to upgrade to variable speed it should not be used in the reverse directions which would then be available. I have been reading and looking at chucks for some time but this issue has not come to my attention, is this because no one wishes to have this function or have I just chosen the wrong chuck? Do others have this problem?

Sorry if this should have been obvious and will be irrelevant should the lathe not be altered. At first inspection the chuck quality seems great but it has not yet been used on the lathe.

I have four sk100 Axi chucks, all with locking grub screws, and an Evolution with no locking facility.

When sanding, I do like to reverse sand as well and only use the SK100's. I did try (only once) with the Evolution, but it started to undo, at which point I stopped the lathe and it completely unthreaded with inertia. :oops:

So if the chuck package is good, just enjoy it for what it is, but be very wary of reverse sanding.

Phil

Hi Phil
Interested in your comments about the evolution chuck. I often use mine in reverse and haven't had a problem with it undoing but hey ho.

Are you sure yours doesn't have a locking facility ? All mine have two grub screws ) one either side ) that tighten through from holes under the jaws onto the backing plate rather than behind the threads. It works but does mean you have to lock it before you put the wood on the chuck.

With my little boxes and simple segmented pots I regularly remove the bulk of the internals in reverse mode because it gives me a far better view of where I'm working, I would never risk doing so with a chuck that does not have a 'lock' facility.

Results are likely to be dependant upon piece being turned, speed of lathe, tool rest location etc. but work jammed against tool rest - stationary chuck landing on lathe bed - rotating chuck landing on floor are all scenarios to be avoided.

As an aside, I've never found reverse sanding any real advantage, finding slow rotary sanding with lathe in motion or stationary to be most effective at tackling rogue grain spots.

Grahamshed":30zshnu2 said:
....Are you sure yours doesn't have a locking facility ? All mine have two grub screws ) one either side ) that tighten through from holes under the jaws onto the backing plate rather than behind the threads. It works but does mean you have to lock it before you put the wood on the chuck.

One of several reasons I've never purchased the new evolution chuck, the main one is that it fouls the headstock on my lathe, (indexing would be out of the question) and I regularly want to remove chuck and part worked piece complete from the lathe to maintain alignment whilst I do other tasks, something front spindle locking prevents. Paying a premium for a 'special' I can live without whilst ISO backplate chucks exist.

Grahamshed":17qjk53r said:
Hi Phil
Interested in your comments about the evolution chuck. I often use mine in reverse and haven't had a problem with it undoing but hey ho.

Are you sure yours doesn't have a locking facility ? All mine have two grub screws ) one either side ) that tighten through from holes under the jaws onto the backing plate rather than behind the threads. It works but does mean you have to lock it before you put the wood on the chuck.

Hi Graham

There is a t38 (mine) and a T38R (not mine) The T38R has an extended body that allows for grub locking. I've not found any grub screws on mine but will look tonight.

I've got the SK100's and a SK114, both have locking grubs at the headstock end allowing chuck and work to be removed intact, the SK114 was being sold off cheap prior to the introduction of the Evolution. I wont be getting a 38R anytime soon at £199

Phil

Back