Ribbon Trinket Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking for advice on this box, it's no glued up yet and the box I'll be making from oak, this pine one is a test piece from last year.
The side are 123 x 130 mm, the top is a solid piece of oak. I haven't bought a table saw blade with a thin kerf yet for cutting lids, neither is
it something I've ever done. Any comments would be much appreciated :D

a very fine router bit on the table- avoid cutting all the way through by a hairs breadth and use a Stanley knife for that last but?

marcros":jnivaxcl said:
a very fine router bit on the table- avoid cutting all the way through by a hairs breadth and use a Stanley knife for that last but?

Never thought of using the router Marcros, I'll look at some suitable cutters.

Mike Bremner":jnivaxcl said:

I might be better off trying it freehand Mike :D

I'm sure I have seen that top ribbon being made and a plan for it somewhere, but cannot remember where. It would be good to make that if anyone has the plan?

Alex

I'm a bit confused about whether this is a prototype or the finished box, as the top and sides look like oak to me.

One design solution is to make the lid just the top board. This gives max capacity to the box and avoids the need to cut a slice tidily. You can make the lid fit snugly by routing a rebate all round. This could help visually lighten the edge of the lid, which looks a bit chunky for a small box. (I'd prefer the sides to be thinner too - it will be plenty strong enough.)

If you really want to have a rim around the lid, you don't need to have a special thin blade. Just make one row of your finger joints a bit wider, to allow for what will get lost in the cut and any cleaning up.

As Macros said, use a router table. I use a fine slitting cutter (1.5mm slitting cutter from Wealdens) and just leave a very thin amount of wood to stop the lid collapsing. Then part this off with a sharp knife.
You can flatten with a plane or use abrasive on flat MDF (as per Andrew Crawford).

Back