Black Friday....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bm101

Lean into the Curve
Reaction score
Love it or hate it With A VENGENCE!!!, it's that time of year where the news channels show us people fist fighting over tosh budget tvs they could probably buy for about £3 more a day before.
Having said that... If you dont get 10 emails a day from axminster or whoever reminding you of our ever increasing reliance on American traditions to sell goods, might be worth checking your favourite sites for bargains. Just in case you forgot. You never know after all! Might be something you overlooked lol.
Up to you, we'll say no more.
:D
Cheers

I dropped in to Axminster the other say and they do have sales on on Friday. Unfortunately I needed something there and then or I might have waited to see if it's in their deals.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

So, in the UK, Black Friday (which we do have) is defined to be the day after Thanksgiving (which we don't have)?!

BugBear

It does look like a lot of places have scaled back this year - many "Black Friday week" type things rather than one loony day.

It was named in the US as the day on which retailers completed paying for the overheads/staff for the year and started making money, i.e. going into the black. I think the association with Thanksgiving came later.

For some retailers. sadly, it ought to be moved to January 31 ... or even later.

I've had a look around today and bought nothing as yet. From what I can see, the discounts are comparable with what I've seen at other times of the year. Theres only so much discount to be found in the price of items and most retailers are at the limit from day to day anyway just to remain competitive.

Example, I bought a jumperoo thingy for our baby in March at £69.99. It's on offer today via the big book seller, at £59.99. I don't think that would suddenly make someone buy that on a whim.... Of course the RRP is £115, which nobody ever pays anyway these days, unless it's a mid-high end sewing machine, apparently....SWMBO does have a nack of choosing stuff for Christmas that there are no discounts on, ever. lol

Back