Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a few issues with version 1 of this with the lid warping. Lid was originally cut from the box.

Anyway, revisited, and made a new lid, and its worked out ok.

Finished in OSMO PolyX satin

IMG_5076.jpeg

IMG_5077.jpeg

IMG_5078.jpeg

IMG_5079.jpeg

Beautiful combination of the two timbers. Oak and walnut? I wonder if the lid contracts too much there could be an issue because the hinges will prevent this happening and it could split.
I made a box for my daughter in a workshop that was not centrally heated, and it was amazing how quickly gaps appeared after a few weeks in her home.
Alan

thanks - yeah, Oak and walnut - im hoping the lid doesn't shrink! The last lid I made bowed due to user error - I guess I will put it down to experience if it does.

I know the feeling, moving from workshop to heated house does weird and wonderful things

Another guitar - my 3rd effort. Sounds good but I really struggled with the French polishing this time. Rosewood takes on a different colour outside in the sunshine (at least to the camera sensor)! The brown is more realistic! This design has a bolt on-bolt off neck which was quite challenging to make.
Cheers
Richard

that's a beautiful guitar Richard, I had a go at editing the photo just for fun in lightroom, it was mostly the white balance, hopefully this should look closer to the real colours.

Attachments

• guitar_edit-1.jpg
    guitar_edit-1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
that's a beautiful guitar Richard, I had a go at editing the photo just for fun in lightroom, it was mostly the white balance, hopefully this should look closer to the real colours.
Thanks! yes that looks more like it. I just pointed the camera and click. Anyway, the main thing is the guitar sounds OK. It's interesting to compare as its twin sounds quite different. A combination of different wood, different thickness of back (slightly) and different strings. Both have their interesting characteristics.

Cheers
Richard

"It's our nephew's 5th birthday tomorrow and I'm going to drop off a card, would you have a minute to knock him up something? Maybe a piggy-bank?!" Poor kid has one of those stupid names that I can never spell - Bhodi or Bodhi and he'll never even have a Capri! Oak offcuts cut on my CNC with Perspex windows, cut on the CNC, too. Finished with sanding sealer and hard wax as Osmo would not have a chance to dry.

Attachments

• 17B10728-1A14-4F2A-B3A7-AB247A8456C0.JPG
    17B10728-1A14-4F2A-B3A7-AB247A8456C0.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 21
  • BC7022C0-4F27-47C3-93A0-D104B47E072C.JPG
    BC7022C0-4F27-47C3-93A0-D104B47E072C.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 21
Another guitar - my 3rd effort. Sounds good but I really struggled with the French polishing this time. Rosewood takes on a different colour outside in the sunshine (at least to the camera sensor)! The brown is more realistic! This design has a bolt on-bolt off neck which was quite challenging to make.
Cheers
Richard
Lovely instrument Richard.

Farm Labourer
I think your Nephew will love the piggy bank.
Would you be happy to share the make and model of your CNC machine please?

Farm Labourer
I think your Nephew will love the piggy bank.
Would you be happy to share the make and model of your CNC machine please?
Hi Fred - I bought s/h, an Ooznest Workbee - I run Vectric Aspire as the design software. Although I do work in IT, I'm not a techie geek, so ensured that I could learn and get on with the software before I bought the hardware. It was actually a lot more straightforward than I expected - however it makes one really think about the construction, tool-paths and strategy to achieve one's goals. I really enjoyed designing Bodhi's piggy bank. It's not perfect but it's more than just functional!

I love making things by hand-tools but am realistic enough to know that for repetitious tasks, something that gives one the acurate repeatability is such a time-saver! In the first six months of ownership, I made enough house signs to pay for the acquistion!

Happy days! ;)

I'm out of action for big stuff due to back problems (due for surgery next month). Had some spalted elm in for a bigger project and used an offcut to make this tray. I've never used it before.

I wonder if my elm is a bit too spalted: very fragile, very porous? I ended up using epoxy to fill the grain and also to stabilise and strengthen the wood, and fill some voids: I painted it on all over, the wood drank the epoxy up in a way I've never seen before; I then sanded the surface epoxy off so that I could get a proper wood finish with osmo polyx. Epoxy had filled grain and penetrated into wood, so it's not the quite the usual finish I love, it's a bit too smooth ... but quite handy in a tray in that it should be fairly water resistant. It's also very light because the wood has lost so much weight.

PXL_20210324_101154828.jpg

Its a working 1/2 scale model of a Neumann VMS70 record mastering lathe.

100% scratch built from photos I found on the internet, using period appropriate manual machinery. (Except for the small fasteners which were purchased.)

Not quite finished. Although mechanically capable I still need to add some finishing visual touches (like the strobe rings on the platter) and tidy the surface finishes up & choose a paint colour.

IMG_6843.JPG

Hope not! It's built like a tank!

Don't want to see sliding dovetails anytime soon!

Cheers James
It was a conscious choice not to inquire on the aesthetics 😉 I was being kind :LOL:

I like chunky, I've made enough of it :LOL: Fulfills the function of something that does a job and fades into the background. Functional, and its practical,because it certainly is chunky and likely to last.

Its a working 1/2 scale model of a Neumann VMS70 record mastering lathe.

100% scratch built from photos I found on the internet, using period appropriate manual machinery. (Except for the small fasteners which were purchased.)

Not quite finished. Although mechanically capable I still need to add some finishing visual touches (like the strobe rings on the platter) and tidy the surface finishes up & choose a paint colour.

View attachment 106668
I have to ask. Why half scale? Are you also making a half scale record player?

Back