Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I finished my ā€œmuseum of test projectsā€ which will serve as a reminder when I make something thatā€™s not full of errors in the future. Maybe.
E6E570EC-3E06-4081-A204-892E337D54C8.jpeg

The missus made me promise to make her a box for her sparkly things.

This is what I came up with. Saw cut veneers on the lid and base that were left over from our coffee table, and the rest was left over from something I canā€™t even remember making over the last year.

Hinges from Ian Hawthorne. Finish is Walrus Oil, Butter and Wax.

A327DD96-8FF8-43E6-8027-14072D7979D6.jpeg
225E3FF2-6B9A-4779-A50E-88CB72EA3390.jpeg
99C1E1BD-DAB9-4331-AE2B-6B7961F83632.jpeg
82C17615-DBB6-4C7E-817E-5F73DD267370.jpeg
24C4A25B-967C-4475-8177-20C53F12987F.jpeg
5D8270C6-015C-4DF7-AC67-B8901F04C5DF.jpeg
9636A10D-C2A6-4FBA-83D3-27EF0A5FBC3C.jpeg
2EC99766-52EF-454A-A0D7-41EF9550A50B.jpeg

The missus made me promise to make her a box for her sparkly things.

This is what I came up with. Saw cut veneers on the lid and base that were left over from our coffee table, and the rest was left over from something I canā€™t even remember making over the last year.

Hinges from Ian Hawthorne. Finish is Walrus Oil, Butter and Wax.

View attachment 99320View attachment 99321View attachment 99322View attachment 99323View attachment 99324View attachment 99325View attachment 99326View attachment 99327

Looks lovely. You do realise that for the next birthday, anniversary, Xmas etc sheā€™ll expect you to buy enough large sparkly things to fill it ........šŸ˜‰
Then you can make a strongroom to store it in for security

Looks lovely. You do realise that for the next birthday, anniversary, Xmas etc sheā€™ll expect you to buy enough large sparkly things to fill it ........šŸ˜‰
Then you can make a strongroom to store it in for security

She can forget it!

A bench for our front porch. It is fitted inside the letter box, so it stops the mail scattering across the porch, and provides somewhere to sit while you put your outdoor shoes on.

Made from oak solids, and oak veneered MDF. The lid lifts to get at the mail, on concealed Zyssa hinges, and the left-hand panel slides out to allow for overflows.

1434A60A-2800-4FBF-B6F2-916CD26CFFA7.jpeg

A bench I have just finished for my daughter and son-in-law. They are both keen skiers and were interested in having a bench made out of an old snowboard and two skis which they no longer use. Came across this design on the web, although there were no plans for it, only photos. So had to guess appropriate dimensions. Its all made out of reclaimed wood I had. A mixture of scots pine (I think) and an old fence post, dimensioned as usual with my planer thicknesser
IMG_0888.jpg
IMG_0889.JPG
. Finished in danish oil - 4 coats. Its all held together with M8 bolts for the leg structures and with M8 coach bolts to join the lengthwise members - one of which supports the snowboard. Its surprisingly comfortable!

Quite pleased with the look. They haven't seen it yet due to Covid - they are in Tier 4. So it will be a New Year pressie sometime!

They have had to cancel their skiing holidays through the year, so they are hoping that by next winter they might be skiing!
IMG_0890.JPG
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0892.jpg

A bench I have just finished for my daughter and son-in-law. They are both keen skiers and were interested in having a bench made out of an old snowboard and two skis which they no longer use. Came across this design on the web, although there were no plans for it, only photos. So had to guess appropriate dimensions. Its all made out of reclaimed wood I had. A mixture of scots pine (I think) and an old fence post, dimensioned as usual with my planer thicknesserView attachment 99407View attachment 99408. Finished in danish oil - 4 coats. Its all held together with M8 bolts for the leg structures and with M8 coach bolts to join the lengthwise members - one of which supports the snowboard. Its surprisingly comfortable!

Quite pleased with the look. They haven't seen it yet due to Covid - they are in Tier 4. So it will be a New Year pressie sometime!

They have had to cancel their skiing holidays through the year, so they are hoping that by next winter they might be skiing! View attachment 99409View attachment 99410View attachment 99411
That is really nice.

I thought I would show another item I made recently. My OH saw a small piece in a catalogue about a small table which can act as centre piece on a dinner table and also sit on our sideboard. As usual I said I could do something like that! So, after rummaging through my old wood stock I found some pieces from an old oak fireplace I had been holding onto, so the top is made from two pieces of that fireplace glued together to make a thicker board. The two splayed legs are just offcuts from downsizing a couple of old oak kitchen cupboard doors. Again quite pleased with how it looks. Its finished in wax buffed up. The important thing is that my OH really likes it, and of course it provides an ideal home for some gins!
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG

Had a go at a stool this week.

It was to be a basic item but then I thought I would have a go at wedged tenons not sure they are the right joint? but a stool in small project book by fine woodworking used them.
Cheers James
sIMG-20201228-WA0006.jpeg

Had a go at a stool this week.

It was to be a basic item but then I thought I would have a go at wedged tenons not sure they are the right joint? but a stool in small project book by fine woodworking used them.
Cheers James
sView attachment 99520

Nice job, need to be careful with wedges that are inline with the grain, a couple of too heavy blows and youā€™ll split the wood.

Fitz

Back