Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to be re-born as a bee just so I can see inside and inspect the joints. ;)

Of course the main box is done with hand cut dovetails :cool:, only a bit gappy.
The dovetails were actually one of the major cock ups, I manage to get the box turned 90 degrees when I did the drawer separators. The pins are facing down instead of the tails. Ah well the glue will hold them. I was more than a little bit miffed to say the least.
IMG_1802.jpeg

Two plane irons - drilled and then hand cut and filed to size.

Top one is O1 steel, bottom is 1095. I made a third, but need to finish the slot (it takes a little over an hour to make a plane iron by hand, but there's certainly cost savings and control over variables. I can make an O1 iron out of US made precision ground steel for about $13 and have enough steel left from the side offcut to make a very good hard marking knife. 1095 is about $7. Add perhaps $2 for files and other bits consumed by the making process.

The O1 iron in this case is cut to fit an LN plane that I sold on ebay. A buyer paid so much that I felt like it would be polite to give him more with his purchase, so I threw in a couple of house irons (one not pictured here) to try.

bpUcEa8.jpg

I don't bother to do any post-heat treat surfacing other than to remove cooked on scale from oil (That makes the irons grippy and harder to adjust) . Anything more is a waste of time.

Last edited:
that's more than acceptable for what it is @paulrbarnard , I understand your frustration but you will do it better next time, it would matter on a very high end jewellery box but not on something like this, don't be discouraged, it'll still hold together likely for hundreds of years, that'll keep a lot of bees happy.

Thought I would post this one despite it not being me that finished it today. My daughter just sent me this picture of a box she made. She sent the picture because she has finally put a danish oil finish on it, still no hinges though... She actually made the box, using hand tools, 17 years ago, and it has been unfinished since then. She flocked the inside at teh time she made it and has been using it to hold keep sakes ever since. Turns out she has been doing a bit of spoon carving for Christmas presents hence having the finish on hand.

Anyone else had/have a 17 year project on the go?
IMG_9859.jpeg

Here she is during the actual making
P8040002.JPG

Must say my bench was looking a bit less dinged back then and I am wondering where my long straight edge went...

My chest of drawers

Nick named gappy as the drawers are 1/8 too small in width tbh.

Several things went wrong the rails I cut 4" too small so has to redo them and the wood isn't the same quality as the rest.

One of the fronts has a big knot in it covered by the no3 plane (faithfull) as it's from the same wood as above...

Tbh my skills have much improved from when I started it as I've had it on the back burner for 3 months and I think I would start again now!

Be kind!!

Cheers James

Attachments

• IMG-20201220-WA0000.jpeg
    IMG-20201220-WA0000.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 60
Hi, this is a coffee table that I made. It’s oak, using offcuts from some window frames that I made. Unfortunately, the oak had not finished shrinking, so some small gaps have appeared. I didn’t make the steel stand, that was a local engineering company (300 euros!).!
97335BD9-49A8-4AB1-8775-39BEBB120A71.jpeg

My bench. Still in the rafters of my shop. Three 16 footers of 12x2 inch. Southern Yellow Pine, ripped to 4.5 x 2s. Wife's illness stopped play. Not yet got the mojo back to finish the job. Probablywon't now. Just make some small tables maybe? Small farmhouse table?

John

My bench. Still in the rafters of my shop. Three 16 footers of 12x2 inch. Southern Yellow Pine, ripped to 4.5 x 2s. Wife's illness stopped play. Not yet got the mojo back to finish the job. Probablywon't now. Just make some small tables maybe? Small farmhouse table?

John

I feel and sympathise with you pain.

I'm in a simalar position but I find the workshop a cathartic escape from the illness that robs the life out of our marriage.

Cheers James

Sincere thanks James. I thought I had got over lack of motivation last year. But then whatever is responsible dealt me another blow by giving me a dose of cellulitis. This caused me to spend 4 to 5 months fighting the disease and also learning to walk again. Please don't think I'm moaning; at least I'm alive. I have to get back in the shop. As previously mentioned I shall just have to start small again. My wife is in full care now, so 'Let no man put asunder' means precisely sweet Fanny Adams. Chin up James and here's to a good Christmas.

Back