Pillar Drill Restoration.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok. So I thought that rather than simply ask questions and read other peoples stuff, I would make a meaningful contribution to the life of the forum by putting up a few pictures of my latest restoration.

Having recently discovered that my small Leytool drill was not in fact powered by Revolutionary Marxist Pixies, I felt confident that it was unlikely that my pillar drill was subject to a similar propulsion system. I could see the cogs on this one.

So armed with a wire brush and some sandpaper, here is what I did.

camera001.jpg

Beginning with an unpromising pile of rusty bits, I began to scrubb.

camera002.jpg

More rusty nuts etc

camera084.jpg

At this point, Trevor the Sheep reminded me that I was very close to the wood with a can of Hammerite. I explained that it would be ok, and that the ash was in no danger. He said he would stand by with a rag just in case.

camera082.jpg

A shiny bottom. I tried different paint on this, but it didn't cover very well, so I returned to Hammerite.

camera083.jpg

Some bits, including the replacement handle I made out of one from a scrap Millers Falls number 2. Also a few projects for later, Hobbies fret saw and a JCB bandsaw which will be renovated and converted to treadle power on the Singer base you can just see under the MDF top.

camera093.jpg

Beginning reassembly. At this point I had to send Trevor the Sheep to the shops because he was freaking out at the amount of oil and grease near the new workbench.

camera096.jpg

Fiddly bits. Trevor returned with custard creams, a chicken and mushroom Pot Noodle and a more relaxed attitude, thank goodness.

camera100.jpg

The finished article. The sheep was sulking in a corner and wouldn't have his photo taken. The big baby.

Next project will be the bandsaw. I haven't had a proper look yet, the side door is siezed but, like the Leytool drill, I suspect it to be powered by a combination of magic and fairy-tale folk; Goblins, this time. They used to pull on the blade and make it go round, but they appear to have established a system of 17th century indentured labour whereby they employ Gnomes from the front garden on fixed term contracts in exchange for travel and accomodation to the Back Garden New World. The threat of treadle power turns them quite militant, and we don't want another Boston Tea Party...

I never thought restoring hand tools would be such a challenge.

El.

Nice job. Although if one word of this shiny paint job gets out to mine, I will be holding you entirely responsible when it sulks...

Scouse":27yxdi86 said:
Ok. So I thought that rather than simply ask questions and read other peoples stuff, I would make a meaningful contribution to the life of the forum by putting up a few pictures of my latest restoration.

Having recently discovered that my small Leytool drill was not in fact powered by Revolutionary Marxist Pixies, I felt confident that it was unlikely that my pillar drill was subject to a similar propulsion system. I could see the cogs on this one.

So armed with a wire brush and some sandpaper, here is what I did.

camera001.jpg

Are there really no stray drill holes in the base?!? That's a first (IME).

Beautiful drill.

BugBear

Nice job - and is that a Richard Maguire bench you have?

Cheers

Karl

OH NO! Do drills sulk too? Things are bad enough round here as it is!

It is a Richard Maguire bench, I am a violin/cello maker (I hesitate to use the word luthier- that seems to have been taken over by people building electric guitars from kits!) and everything I do is by hand, no electricity whatsoever, so a good heavy bench is essential. I looked at Sjobergs and a couple of others, but for not much more money a Maguire seemed much better value; there isn't a piece of wood on it less that 4 inches thick!!!

Thanks for all the positive comments. My avoidance of electricity explains the Union A1 pillar drill above, amazingly with no stray holes(!).

Gosh, I got all serious there for a moment. Now if you will excuse me, Trevor the Sheep is trying to delete Masterchef from the Sky+ so he can record EastEnders. It will all end in tears...

Ellis.

Nice work!!

Theres one of those drills sitting in my grandparents shed for years now, tis sitting there many more years than I've been on this earth, thats for sure! Its missing the chuck though. Its there for the taking but I could never see any benefit in having it or finding space to keep it! :oops:

hey scouse. I've never seen one of these in action.

Seen a few go for a song but always wondered how effecient they are.

Would you be so kind as to offer up a small video perhaps?

:D :D

Does it automatically lower the bit into the work, or do you do that separately by turning the handle at the top?

I had a minature one of those...superb tools...

Nothing like it for accurate controlled slow drilling.

Wish I hadn't sold it now but a Dremel (washes mouth out with shavings)...takes on most of those jobs now...and it is controllable too (the varispeed one).

If I were a handtool sage then I would get another of them there giggery pokery things!

:D

Jim

Just back after a wee absence and I come across this... wow ... purty. My guess is that you will get many happy hours from your restored (read as good as new ) drill. You have my envy Mi Amigo... gotta get me one of those.

Ok, I was looking at that as a ratchet, but it's not, is it. Instead, the long black bit with a pivot in the middle gets knocked by something at the bottom (not quite visible) every time the crank gets turned, and so the top "pawl" shifts forward, advancing the screw down a bit.

It's not so easy when you've never seen one working!

mickthetree":2db5sa0x said:
hey scouse. I've never seen one of these in action.

Seen a few go for a song but always wondered how effecient they are.

Would you be so kind as to offer up a small video perhaps?

:D :D

Video... Now you're asking!!! I'll try and have a go.

The drill has an autofeed mechanism which works off a cam on the inside of the big drive wheel; this moves the pivoted arm in a sort of nodding donkey affair which pushes the horizontal toothed gear round and lowers the chuck slowly. It moves three teeth per revolution of the drive wheel, so it's not fast in it's descent! The mechanism can be turned off by means of the small brass lever below the mechanism and moved manually by the wheel at the very top of the drill.

The drill has two speeds (although there is a version with just one) which are changes by removing the drivewheel and replacing it in one of the two holes, one of which is a more or less direct drive through the centre of the iron drive gear, the other is a lower hole which allows for the use of the gear system via a gear on the inside of the main drive wheel.

It is a much simpler system than the convoluted way I have just described it!!!

I emailed T.S. Harrison, who owned Union, and they sent me this, noting that it was the only information they held on the drill.

UnionA1PillarDrill.jpg

Ellis.

That's a very good question and I'm glad you asked... :?

To be honest I did read that, but this drill just has a small lever which by way of a worm gear type thing moves the horizontal gear up onto the pivoting arm, or down out of it's way. Setting the lever half way, doesn't really achieve anything. I have also tried shouting at it, but that didn't seem to work either. :lol:

Back