On light duties

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer Giles

The biggest tool in the box
Reaction score
About 7 weeks ago my eyesight started to become a major issue, I was losing focus in my peripheral vision and it was getting worse. Focusing on anything was a major effort. I knew it was probably not optical as I had just had a full eye-test including retinal scans. My optician referred me to an ophthalmic surgeon who diagnosed a benign pituitary tumour within about 10 minutes which was confirmed with an MRI. I was then referred to a neurosurgeon and an endocrinologist and had the offending 13mm growth removed Monday 14th. I had a right pterional craniotomy to remove a craniopharyngioma, the sight problem was because it was growing up into the optic chiasm and pressing on the optic nerves. I've been home since Saturday with some interesting bonce wounds, so far its looking good, just need to wait for a few more blood test to see if there is any long term damage to my pituitary, so far it is looking good :)

I'm feeling well enough to do small jobs, only hour or so a day to begin with, I've been very sensible and intend to slowly increase my workshop time and listen to my body. I have approximately 6 week off work so hope to do all those less appealing but less strenuous jobs that would not normally get done.

So the long overdue workshop tidy-up begins today, mainly collecting all my woodwork gear together and cleaning, sharpening then waxing it ready for winter.

Cheers
Andy

Wow Andy I looked up pterional craniotomy that would leave a mark!

Good to hear you are o/k, it mush have been a shock to hear that diagnosis.

Take it easy.

Pete

Cheers Pete. Yes, initially they said it was likely they would go up through a nostril but once they had all the scans and the blood results back the "through the wood" approach made it more likely to keep the otherwise healthy pituitary function working so I chose function rather than form :)

Thanks for the kind words guys, the best bit is I have my eyesight back, they didn't guarantee it would come back to the same as before or how long it would take but it was one the first things I checked when I come around after the operation and it was fine :)

It could have been worse, it could have been one of those brains operations where you are wide awake and have to play guitar while they are fiddling under the bonnet. I'm rubbish at guitar at the best of time so they wouldn't have known when to stop cutting :)

Worse case scenario is not all my pituitary function comes back and I have to go on hormone and steroid replacement, I should know around 13th September when I see the endocrinologist which way it is going. Most function is back to normal already, and some are lagging behind a bit but that is normal after an operation like this.

Cheers
Andy

Racers":1ntpmnok said:
Wow Andy I looked up pterional craniotomy that would leave a mark!

Good to hear you are o/k, it mush have been a shock to hear that diagnosis.

Take it easy.

Pete

I just did too... and wished I hadn't, I'm not so good with that kind of stuff.

Glad to hear you're on the mend and lets hope for a full recovery.

Hope you're back to normal soon Andy, just shows you we never know what's round the corner.
All the best to you and the rest of the family.

Cheers guys :D

I even did a bit of new extension building today - purely in a supervisory role of course.

I had my first beer since the operation last night, only the one, and I'm fine so I may have another cheeky one tonight =P~

Pleased that they found the problem and sorted it. Quite remarkable what the health service can do when needs must. Take it easy and I hope it all returns to normal for you. All the best
Malcolm

Cor, blimey, FJ, based on what the others have posted, I'm not even going to look up "pit-whatever", I don't think I want to know! But here's wishing you all the best and back into the workshop full time as soon as you're able - but NOT before (hammer)

AES

Thanks for the best wished guys :)

I'm off the pain meds all together now and looking forward to my hour of workshop time this afternoon. Until then the dog and I are sharing a sofa. She's barking at passers by, I'm ordering building materials and chasing the solicitors for the easement they promised 3 months ago........

Back