Old school or new school

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt1981g

Reaction score
So I have a budget of around a grand for a lathe but can't decide what to get, I really like the idea of a union graduate with a inverter and variable speed control which would be around my budget but I wonder if there is something new around the same money that I should consider. I mostly like to make bowls but am happy to have the option of between centres for the odd bits . So come on and help me spend some money!!!!

Well I bought a Union Graduate bowl lathe about 4 years ago. It came with a disc sander table and 14" faceplate and was £150. I was so pleased that I called myself GO when I joined this forum. I think it is a rock solid machine but can't compare with a modern lathe as my others are old too - a Myford ML8 and a Viceroy. All 3 would be considered trade quality or better.
If you take a look at Axminster' range of lathes then the £500-£1000 bracket gets you a hobby rated kit with 1 metre between centres and a chuck included. However the hobby rated machinery from Axminster has a suggested usage of 100 hours per year, so if you are thinking of heavier use then this is not suitable. £600 buys you a trade rated lathe with 10" swing but only 16" between centres, which may be a bit restricted. £850 gets you a trade 14" swing but again only 16" between centres. In both cases you would need to allow somewhere around £200 for a chuck and some jaws.

So if you look at the £1000 plus range, then around £1400 gets you a Jet with reasonable swing etc. If your £1000 has to be adhered to then it looks like a choice of trade range but limited length, or go down he used route. I paid £300 for my Viceroy which came with faceplate and a 5" Pratt Burnerd metal chuck. I have seen several of these Viceroys on ebay recently, around the £300-£500 mark, depending on quality and accessories.

Be careful though if you do go for used, because accessories may be a problem depending on spindle threads. The graduate is 1" x 6 tpi on both sides, which is very convenient because it meant I could get a chuck from Axminster with both L and R thread - no need to buy a different chuck or an adapter for inboard and outboard use. The Viceroy has 1" x 8 tpi ( same as Boxford) inboard, and 3/4" x 8 left hand which is generally unavailable. Also make sure no bits are missing as spares can be expensive and difficult to find.

K

I'm restoring a graduate and fitting it with an inverter. I've logged my costs so far and I think I now have everything to get it up and running. I paid £175 for it and with a new motor, inverter, bearings and the missing bits I've had to buy I'm up to £726. Still need to either get a chuck adapter or a new direct threaded chuck, I haven't decided yet.

graduate_owner":23soxzgv said:
If you take a look at Axminster' range of lathes then the £500-£1000 bracket gets you a hobby rated kit with 1 metre between centres and a chuck included. However the hobby rated machinery from Axminster has a suggested usage of 100 hours per year, so if you are thinking of heavier use then this is not suitable.

Axminster's AT1416VS is trade rated and currently lists at £858.96. It's an excellent lathe with 14" swing over the bed. Plenty of power and very smooth running and quiet.

I have a record dml320

http://www.yandles.co.uk/record-power-d ... eed/p18129

£500 which leaves enough cash for chucks, jaws and tools if your total budget is £1k.

Its a perfectly good lathe unless you want to turn bowls of 12" or more. I dont know if it would last as long as a Union Graduate ..probably not ...but I'd expect it to still be good in a decade or so.

Selectortone - that's the one I meant, selling at around £850, but as I mentioned, the bed length might be a limitation. It looks a nice lathe but if you need say 3 ft or so between centres then it's just not suitable. It just depends what OP's needs are. There is also a stand to consider and accessories - I paid £160 for my Evolution chuck, and a further £75 for O'Donnell jaws. I'm not sure what OP's budget is meant to cover but I was trying to compare prices in my experience. As I said, I don't have experience of a modern lathe but it I am sure your comments about that Axminster one would be useful to OP.

Regarding where to get graduates from, well mine was advertised at £200 on ebay, then re-advertised at £150, so I bought it at £150. I had to travel about 130 miles each way to collect but it was worth it. I have seen the sanding tables sell on ebay for about £80, so I did quite well. There's no bed but I only wanted a bowl lathe since I already had my ML8 for spindle work. Then along came the offer of the Viceroy on ebay, so now I have 3 lathes ( and 2 metal lathes), and a shortage of space.

Edit - Another option could be the AT1016 at £600, as mentioned, plus a bed extension for £185. That one is trade rated. A home built stand would leave you enough for a chuck and some sets of jaws.
K

Mine wasn't half decent! :lol: It was a total nail, but seeing as its just a lump of cast iron at the end of the day I knew it could be brought back pretty easily.

matt1981g":3mhsne3e said:
Where did everyone get there unions so cheap half decent ones are going for 700 plus on eBay!!!

£500-600 3 phase .. £700-900 single phase in an usuable state seems to be the norm these days ..for a graduate .. afaik

Did anyone tell you about graduate maintenance & noise vs new brushless motors and maintenance free bearings etc

I bought my first car for 12pence but it was in 1971 give or take a decade ;)

We all have our favourites and remember the good things (my 12pence car was made by matchbox!)

I had one of the large Axminster hobby lathes but as I got more equipment it took up too much space in my workshop. It ended up as a pile of bits in the corner of the workshop. I sold it and bought the Axminster AT1416VS which takes up much less space. As said it's very smooth and has a very useful 14" swing. If it appeals but the spindle capacity is deemed too small don't forget you can buy a bed extension for it which gives you 1 metre between centres.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-be ... hes-502496

matt1981g":22r6v7xm said:
Where did everyone get there unions so cheap half decent ones are going for 700 plus on eBay!!!

Hi
I bought this short bed graduate last year from a friend which was already converted to variable speed with a reverse function too, I paid £170 for mine but it didn't come with the tail stock assembly, I expect the tail stock will cost me a lot more than I paid for the lathe add a chuck in and it will probably bump the overall price up to about £550 :D
Keith
with regards to maintenance there is very little apart from greasing the bearings up and as for noise its quieter than my jet 14-42
Andy
graduate (557x640).jpg

graduate3 (607x640).jpg

graduate4 (640x533).jpg

Attachments

• graduate (557x640).jpg
    graduate (557x640).jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1,157
  • graduate3 (607x640).jpg
    graduate3 (607x640).jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 1,156
  • graduate4 (640x533).jpg
    graduate4 (640x533).jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 1,156
£170 is great value Andy, especially with the variable speed ... I'd get one for that price ... I'm more than happy to accept I'm wrong about the noise ..though I dont know how noisy a 14-42 is tbh. I was very surprised by how quiet my new lathe is ..its quiet enough enough not to intrude into conversations ...my old coronet was really pretty loud indeed...but then it had a pretty chunky old school motor.

So I had a trip up the road to Axminster tools and then on to Yandles, to have a look and was mostly uninspired especially with the selection at of Record lathes at Yandles :( CL3 and CL4 updates are just to old technology for the money they ask you to pay for them, coupled with round bars I walked away..... Back to Axminster :lol: and looked and looked had a good play with them all, plugged in moved the Banjo's and tail stocks rotated the headstock I liked the Jet 1221vs but it felt a little small and as I said before I'm mostly into Bowl work, hence my original thoughts of a Union Graduate with a short bed. So what next.... AWVSL1000 out of stock and lacked the complete speed control and reverse function that I would like, Axminster 1416VS again impresed with the control but size was a issue. Next up to the Axminster AT1628VS and finally it was ticking all the boxes big, heavy and all the control I was after. So I wanted it!! The sales assistant was helpful and gave me a really good deal on all the extra's; Chuck, tools, sanding equipment, and essential bits and bobs so just a waiting to be contacted for a delivery date!! Cant wait!!!

nice choice ! ..it has the swivelling headstock as well, which is the main thing I'd like (but dont have). Hope it works out well for you!

Back