Oak wine rack - suggestions to stabilize?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tplhughes

Reaction score
Hi,
I have been working on this oak wine rack, but had to make it fairly thin and now its not particularly stable (even when empty). I need to do some more sanding and was planning to finish with tung oil.
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

So i was hoping for some ideas on potential base/feet? as its intended to sit on a cabinet, i was thinking of something flatter.

Had thought of some kind of metal rod - but not too sure what the best way to fix one or two in place would be? Also have a spare oak plank that could chop up to something, but a little skeptical of adding more wood and making any attachment look good (as its probably going to be sat on a wood cabinet).

Any and all suggestions welcome!
Thanks!
Tom

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 233
If you could rout 2 half round coves front to back in the bottom of it, you could then epoxy a couple of stainless steel rods in to provide stability.

Something branch like would look good, do you have any branches?

Pete

p.s. fliping big woodworm!

Which way does it tend to fall?
Both empty, and full.
Extra weight in base, (holes bored then filled with lead)
Triangular bracket fixed to back. Made big to be a feature?

Bod

Racers":5ywfb6f9 said:
Something branch like would look good, do you have any branches?

Pete

p.s. fliping big woodworm!

Gold star would be if you can get some old vines to make supports.

Best thing with anything like that that is unstable is to force it into a stable condition.
rack.jpg

Attachments

• rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 131
Agreed but the need for some form of bottle retention is almost as essential with such a narrow support I suspect even if it's vertical. with the variation of bottle dimensions and holes needing to be oversize for many I fear there is a great chance of them tipping out the back or front when trying to balance them half way.

how about a "false wall" box behind it ?
2" or 3" deep but wider and taller
it would get over the issues of bottles falling out
could be matched to decor

Steve

With the cracks between holes, are you sure the wood isnt going to split apart when fully loaded?
Theres a lot of downwards torque on a wine bottle held by the neck.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! have sanded to 240g now, cant wait to get some oil on! It does stand upright, just a bit thin for the weight up top, so will topple when pressure applied in either direction.
Still preferring metal bars - but dont have a router, so would need to spend a bit of time making some indents for them to sit in. Hopefully these wouldn't draw the eyes away from the centerpiece..

Pete- love the idea of a branch, could easily get any shape or size - again not sure how it would attach, and might overshadow the holder itself! Siomn - by old vines do you mean when they start looking a bit drift woody?

Chas- had thought of putting at an angles, but with no experience of such things, was worried i would just create a weakness and as Phill points out - worried the bottles would fall through. Had thought of trying to make the holes at an angle in the first place, but no chance with my limited tool set! Empty bottle certainly stays in - will try with a full one tomorrow. could put a couple of spots of glue/silicone type stuff at front and back of each hole if its an issue :s

Interesting suggestion Steve - might be having some fairly substantial house renovation soon, so will keep that in mind, but dont want to match it to anything i have now.

And Sunnybob - the holes are big enough for the entire bottle to fit in, so all pressure should be downward. Now that im not wailing away at it with a chisel and mallet, im not worried about it splitting (too much).

Tom

Acrylic sheet perhaps? Cut a slot in the wood to the thickness of the acrylic at an angle and voila. Fairly unobtrusive stuff, acrylic is.

"And Sunnybob - the holes are big enough for the entire bottle to fit in, so all pressure should be downward. Now that im not wailing away at it with a chisel and mallet, im not worried about it splitting (too much)."

Ah, I didnt realise the scale. usually these racks just have the necks in the holes. Thats a big piece of wood.

I would cut semicircles out of the bottom and screw and glue your branches in.

Pete

I must admit to being very concerned over the safety of this rack.
11 wine bottles is a fair weight and a lot of glass. If they are resting in that narrow hole whats to stop any or all of them just sliding out? or being knocked when one bottle is being removed?

I would incorporate a back plate to allow the bottles to tilt backwards and rest against the back plate.

Looks like a lovely bit of wood you have there. May I ask what you used to make all those big 'oles?

As for my 2p... I'd want some physical means to stop me from accidentally pushing a bottle too far through and another means to stop me from knocking it over after knocking back a few glasses. If it's to be situated perpendicular to a wall you have an answer to both of my problems: some sort of bracket that mounts to the rear of the rack (in the centre where you can't see it from the front) which is also fixed to the wall with a gap just big enough for the rear of a racked bottle to rest against the wall and not fall through.

Back