Now everyone can have their own CNC :-)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just hoped there might be some sense behind wasting the time and materials.

CNC's are taking over the world. I know they are amazing tools for any kind of wood work, but Its starting to annoy me when I see forum threads saying "I made this with my CNC"

Sorry, you DID NOT make this. you stuck a bit of wood in one end and pressed a button and it came out finished.
The only correct way would be to say "I programmed this"
Rant over, normal service will be resumed shortly.

Walney Col":djluxb8r said:
Something I just found on youtube that raised a smile. Probably not too difficult to replicate with a scroll saw.

[youtube]bD_EKzmoFgM[/youtube]

Col.

Cute (and recursive) !

BugBear

sunnybob":3rdfukj1 said:
Apart from "because I can"

Why?
Perhaps he was "looking for a bit of light relief" ?

Maybe it was an excercise to test his skills so he's better at programming it for other jobs. Maybe his niece/nephew/kids liked his big machine and wanted one for themselves.... maybe you're just jealous :lol:

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

There was a similar thread on much the same subject in the "Model Engineer's Workshop" mag a while ago. Similar comments on the accompanying Forum site too.

Personally I think that in one way sunnybob's right - "you" don't make much at all with CNC.

But OTOH though, having read some (just some mind!) of the above MEW articles, I must say that IMO, there is no doubt a helluva of a lot of skill in programming any sort of CNC machine - AND "skill" is the right word too, it's just a different sort of skill to making something by "hand"/"conventional" machines.

I guess that like so many other things, it's just a question of whatever turns you on. Not at all my thing personally, but full marks to those that (IMO "struggle") with all that coding & stuff, AND especially so if they made the machine themselves as well. NOT a small & simple task to produce a successful machine.

In short - perhaps "look what I made" is not so far off after all?

AES

Edit for a P.S: Thanks for the video clip WC. Although the movement was a bit jerky, I thought the animated part at the end was fascinating. A bit Wallace & Grommet!

ColeyS1":34xmt434 said:
sunnybob":34xmt434 said:

Why?
Perhaps he was "looking for a bit of light relief" ?

Maybe it was an excercise to test his skills so he's better at programming it for other jobs. Maybe his niece/nephew/kids liked his big machine and wanted one for themselves.... maybe you're just jealous :lol:

jealous? no, only of the money that seems to need to be spent on these machines.
I did look recently at buying a small one (because I thought I could). I was informed by a man who makes a living teaching cnc that buying the thing is only a tenth of the cost of the software and hardware needed.

For my extremely limited use of one, no, I still have another 20 years worth of normal woodworking to learn. I now deliberately stay away from electronics.

sunnybob":4tjtuyfi said:

Why?
Well, other than the fact that people have been making wooden toys and trickets since the dawn of time already, I happen to own the same type of cnc router shown in the video, and I also happen to have just completed a complete 1:12 scale model of my home for my great grand daughter. And wouldn't it have been fun if I'd been inspired by that video in time to make her a scale copy of one of grandads machines sitting in a scale model of her grandad's house?

And as for there being no skill or ownership of bragging rights for those who create stuff using cnc... that's complete and utter nonsense and shows the sort of attitude only ever held by unimaginative ludites who've never tried it and probably don't have whatever intelect it takes to transfer existing skills to anything more complicated than a mallet.

Col... computer programmer since 1982 and cnc since 1992.

sunnybob":2buer0jt said:
jealous? no, only of the money that seems to need to be spent on these machines.
I did look recently at buying a small one (because I thought I could). I was informed by a man who makes a living teaching cnc that buying the thing is only a tenth of the cost of the software and hardware needed.
Your man has done you no favours whatsoever. Yes... you can spend as much as you like on automated CNC equipment and software (as you can on your next car, which I'm pretty sure won't be the latest bugatti), OR you could learn how to write your own G-code and have a fully functioning 4 axis system for the same £450 quid that mine cost, PC included.

Col.

Walney Col":2czipmek said:
sunnybob":2czipmek said:

Why?
Well, other than the fact that people have been making wooden toys and trickets since the dawn of time already, I happen to own the same type of cnc router shown in the video, and I also happen to have just completed a complete 1:12 scale model of my home for my great grand daughter. And wouldn't it have been fun if I'd been inspired by that video in time to make her a scale copy of one of grandads machines sitting in a scale model of her grandad's house?

And as for there being no skill or ownership of bragging rights for those who create stuff using cnc... that's complete and utter nonsense and shows the sort of attitude only ever held by unimaginative ludites who've never tried it and probably don't have whatever intelect it takes to transfer existing skills to anything more complicated than a mallet.

Col... computer programmer since 1982 and cnc since 1992.
Your response is bang on- couldn't have put it better if I tried !
My pet hate is people having to justify the reason for making something. How about they just enjoy making stuff, woodworking, a hobby- whatever you wanna call it. If they've enjoyed the process of ending up with a finished item, who's to say if a looker on considers it a waste of time, they enjoyed making it, that's all that matters.
What about the grand designs episode where they made a house with a cnc machine- well apparantly they just pushed a button !! It's laughable, I guess no thinking/problem solving went into that whatsoever.
I'd consider a cnc machine just another tool. It's not a magic fix where you have an idea, push a button and it automatically chucks out a finished product. Like any tool, you'll have to learn how to use it and know it's limitations.
Sunnybob, splash the cash and show us how easy it is to be creative with your type in a bit of code, push a button machine ! :lol:

Back