Not so Dusty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marvellous. The 3 I was given are already oven ready, though not skinned. No need for the internal cleaning process but thanks for asking. Apparently one of the entourage (of my neighbours regular shoot) does all the bird prepping and its the results of these he gave me (his freezer is bursting apparently).

Is the Hairy Bikers stuffing any good?

Managed a couple of hours in the shed with the complete kit, very comfortable, not at all conscious of the shoulder cape in use as far as any obstruction, certainly a big improvement in fit and comfort over the earlier model, some would say so it should be for that money but you can really appreciate it is something made for all day wear in an industrial environment.

Cape means no dust or shaving what-so-ever present above shoulder level when removing smock.

The airflow from the turbo unit is greater than my old unit, one result has been unexpected , mainly because of the additional cape I suspect.
The face seal is so good with the combined pieces of head gear that the airflow exhaust is directed rearwards and down the back of the head, being enclosed in the cape results in the ears being super cooled in the current climate, might have to get a pair of earmuffs for Xmas.

Random Orbital Bob":2gx7awxz said:
Marvellous. The 3 I was given are already oven ready, though not skinned. No need for the internal cleaning process but thanks for asking. Apparently one of the entourage (of my neighbours regular shoot) does all the bird prepping and its the results of these he gave me (his freezer is bursting apparently).

Is the Hairy Bikers stuffing any good?

Some folks obviously have up-market friends, providing ready dressed birds.
Will sort the stuffing recipe out, we like it.

CHJ":33ryefcs said:
The airflow from the turbo unit is greater than my old unit, one result has been unexpected , mainly because of the additional cape I suspect.
The face seal is so good with the combined pieces of head gear that the airflow exhaust is directed rearwards and down the back of the head, being enclosed in the cape results in the ears being super cooled in the current climate, might have to get a pair of earmuffs for Xmas.
One of Santa's little helpers heard about the cold ears remark and turned up with these:-
41Wobds1ndL._SX425_.jpg

Now we have music we can hear while we work, warmer ears and once we get to grips with all this new fangled gubbins I might get round to....? what was it I was supposed to be doing ? .... Ahhh that's it, spinning bits of wood.

Attachments

• 41Wobds1ndL._SX425_.jpg
    41Wobds1ndL._SX425_.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 856
Just thought I'd give an update on the what some would class as 'over the top' addition of the dust cape to the helmet.

After some considerable hours at the lathe, conclusion is that would not be without it now, yes it's a little extra to contend with on fitting and removing but you soon get the knack of holding the extra elasticated rim out of the way whilst donning it etc.
The improved shedding of all debris from around the neck and shoulders means that when finishing up and removing it and the turning smock one can walk into the house without incurring undue agro from the dust monitor.

Definitely a vast improvement on my exposure levels to sanding dust and chippings.

Random Orbital Bob":288thj1a said:
Excellent Chas - I'll pop over with that truck load of skipped Iroko I know you'll be really keen to turn now :)
You are so generous Bob, what would the world do without friends like you.

Seriously though, although I will not go out of my way to have a loving relationship with that particular creation of the devil I won't be so nervous of using the odd sample of Red Wood for contrast etc. because it defies specific identification.

Obviously no point in having blind faith in the kit alone Bob, have tried to up shop dust hygiene with a bit more deliberation to try and match its better performance.
Make a point of cleaning up debris and vacuuming down* before finishing a session with extractors still running so shop and I have a chance to shed as much of airborne dust as possible before de-robing.

* Did modify my old Vax wet and dry vac. to take a finer pleated cartridge filter rather than the internal fabric bag which seems to have reduced the fine dust distribution.

How much extraction to do ?
I guess if you can smell or taste anything wood while turning, sanding or in the area then you've not done enough.

My red wood is antifungal, supposedly, but I think I'd rather not inhale any ...but I must be inhaling some ...I must look for a nose-hair growth stimulant to help as another filter !

Is two main 2hp extractors at a lathe (with wide mouth collectors) (and maybe a cyclone on them) and a fan blowing dust/turnings towards them (while wearing a 3m full or half mask with p3 filters as well as a visor) enough? Should I add one or two of those funny little Jet boxes at £200 ish each (or axi/record equivs)...do they breakdown a lot or only if you cant be bothered to change the filter often enough?

I find even shutting the garage door into the house doesnt seem to stop some fine dust getting into the lower ground floor...must be via the air gaps between door and frame? Luckily my wife is very understanding about it ...for now!

Keithie":39ph69qh said:
....... fan blowing dust/turnings towards them ....
I would not do that for starters, deliberately blowing a dust source is about the worst thing you can do.

Start by analysing where your airflow streams are and do your best to make sure they are away from you with the replacement air passing you on the way to the extractors.

Endeavour to constrain the spread of dust by entraining it into a funnelled approach to your extractors.
If you have the exhaust output from you extractors within the shop how much is this contributing to the spread of any stray airborne dust.

I'm in a position where I dump all dust possible outside the shop from behind my lathe via high volume chip extractor behind the chuck and 9" Xpelair fan in the wall/window above with replacement air from behind me by opening up suitable window.

Thanks...

I hadnt thoughtof of a fan blowing the dust towards the wide mouth collectors as being a daft idea ...though now you describe it as you have it's pretty obviously a dumb thing to do... suction only obviously (now!!) makes more sense.

My garage (aka workshop) has three external walls, all which are rendered blockwork (and no windows) one of which backs into an area where I can put a 'lean-to' shed to house the extraction...but I havent made myself hack a big enough hole through the block & render yet (for power & ducting)... seems like a nexessary job, easily done badly (with expensive consequences of messing up!) Guess I should just get on with it!

As for the overhead fine dust filters (eg Jet afs500)..necessary ? ...any thoughts anyone ?

Way back in 28 Nov 2016 sploo asked for feedback:-
sploo":357wh399 said:
It would be good to read further feedback on this new kit. I do like the Trend AirShield, despite a few gripes. I assume the 100 series helmet is significantly lighter?.....l.

The hood assembly is certainly a wear all day item as far as weight is concerned, the lightest unit I've ever owned or trialled.

Can not fault the kit after 3+ years regular use, by giving the inlet filters a reverse flow clean out with the vacuum cleaner occasionally I have so far only felt the need to use one new thin foam pre-filter overlay that sits between the spark guard gauze and the fine filter cartridge.

I have just fitted a replacement dust cape (requested Christmas gift actually) mainly for the aesthetics, the old one was looking tired and scruffy but still materially sound.

I would not be without the dust cape, so much better at keeping the shavings and dust from around the neck area, I find it well worth the 'over the top' look and is no additional effort to wear.

Anyone wondering if they might find one a benefit I would say they are worth a try as a compliment to other masks than the 3M version if you are into turning that throws shavings all over the place.

Keithie":cack43u0 said:
Thanks...

I hadnt thoughtof of a fan blowing the dust towards the wide mouth collectors as being a daft idea ...though now you describe it as you have it's pretty obviously a dumb thing to do... suction only obviously (now!!) makes more sense.

Someone of FarceBook was telling me the other day he doesn't use extraction; just a USB fan on top of the lathe, blowing the dust away from him/the work.

Good luck to him I say!

Update on the robustness of the 'Shoulder Cover', Santa supplied a replacement Christmas 2019, original was still functioning but looking rather grubby around the edges, so a three years of regular shed use seems reasonable, I certainly would not be without the benefits of the shavings shedding around neck area it provides.

Back