Not Norm, but anyone seen Ben Huggins

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
He designs and makes furniture, has a nice looking wife, is british, made some nice things but never a mention. Me personally, i don't like Norm, i don't like his work, don't like his methods and may never do, but why is he the only person of TV that gets all the votes?????

Andy

Awww cmon we have Handy Andy and Tommy Walsh :lol:
It is a bit odd as British Tradesmen have a world renowned thought as the best , maybe we are too boring for T.V . They need to film me when i lose the plot in the workshop and start launching lumps of AWO when it tears out :lol:

Yes, I like Ben Huggins, I llike Hannah too....

Noel

The barn he converted in "ben Huggins Project" was the best, mates rates and new spaces are OK but didn't think much of Sun, Sea & Scaffolding.

He's just finishing another barn in Devon, not sure if it will be on TV, they have an article on it in the Telegraph about every 2 months.

And lets not forget Arther, the dog (female dog)

http://www.benhuggins.com/home.htm

Jason

I agree with Jason's "order of merit" - sun,sea and scaffolding didn't live up to the rest of his programmes.
Enjoyed all the "mates rates" series - the flat,the very large garage,and the farmhouse :D

Andrew

I agree. Hooray for Hannah Huggins! :twisted:

And I did rather enjoy their various programs too.

Is it just me or do Disc: H&L or RT or whatever they're calling themselves this week tend to sneak programs out without telling anyone? I thoroughly enjoyed Mates Rates, only to tune in the week after they had finished the firsty project (the flat I think) and find it wasn't on. In the months that followed there were interminable repeats of that first 3 or 4 episode project, but when I tuned in purely on spec a little later we were a couple of episodes into a completely new project! No adverts or trailers that I had seen had broadcast this fact.
At least they have seemed to show them in order, not something that can be claimed for many of D:RTs other shows. :evil:

Gosh, sorry, rather hijacked that for a bit of a rant, I do apologise.

In summary Andy, yes, Ben Huggins good. Hannah Huggins better. :wink:

V.

Stuff Ben Huggins, give me Hannah any day
tongue.gif

Based down here in Devon, not far from Totnes if im not mistaken.

What was his dogs name again?? :lol:

Why is no one saying any thing about Handy Andy :-# 8-[
( now hideing under my computer desk :whistle: )

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alan Herd who has appeared several times with Tommy Walsh. He also does a programme restoring antiques and had a show doing up an old narrow boat. He's IMHO more talented than Handy Andy , that man makes me cringe.

Lord Nibbo":3d6g7c9e said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Alan Herd who has appeared several times with Tommy Walsh. He also does a programme restoring antiques and had a show doing up an old narrow boat. He's IMHO more talented than Handy Andy , that man makes me cringe.

When it comes to Alan Herd, I do think he is a very good trades man BUT he is no restorer ( in cooming 8-[ ).
I have been one for 22 years and some of the ways and things he has done, have not been done for along time ( I think he knew or had done some work with one a long time ago and was remembering what he was )
As for Handy Andy, I have one thing to say. How many times did he build some thing outside, that would not go through the doors :shock: ( he was a running joke at work at the time )

( he was a running joke at work at the time )

ummmmmm... that changed...???? I musta blinked at the wrong time..

I reckon between Andy and yon other scouse twerp (of chew be chew fame) they'd make a better sales team for MDF than any other timber salesman on the planet.. rework happens.!!!!!

As for Norm... for all that I'm no Normite, credit where credit's due... That guy is responsible for more people getting involved in woodworking than any other I've seen on the tube over the years... what's more, every now and then he'll take on a project that raises the bar a bit... I might have an issue with his techniques (nothing that a bit of lateral thinking canna fix) but his clear delivery without being condescending makes even a half baked numptie like me feel like I could do a half decent job of it...
I still cringe at his taste in finishes tho...

Gill.... if I suck in and stand sideways... ya got room for me to down there...????

I enjoy their programs too although I missed sun, sea and scaffolding.

What about Richard Blizzard and Mark thingy on WoodWizard, don't forget them :wink:

Back