Nice big-ish compressor for nowt!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
Yesterday we had a dechetterie (tip to you lot :mrgreen: ) run and just as we were leaving I saw a nice big-ish red compressor outside the office. People leave stuff there for anyone who can use it. I was told that the woman who bought it in just said it didn't work.

So now I have a nice big-ish red compressor that runs fine, but doesn't pressurise the tank. there is slight pressure but not enough to show on the guage.

So far I have disconnected the compressor to tank pipe, lots of air flow. Swapped the tank pressure guage with my small compressor and run the small one, the guage is OK. The small machines guage in the big job still shows no pressure.

So I took the head off to have aa gander at the gubbins and found 2 reed valves, one for in and one for out. The out one was in 2 bits!! Golly gosh was my expression and I had the idea that I have a couple of sets of feeler gauges that haven't been used in years. IBM standard issue! I measured the thickness with my dial very near, some call it a vernier, 10 thou. So after I have cut a 10 thou feeler to size I fitted it and then put the head back on and tried it.

This is the head and shows both the broken bit and the new. It's 25 metric things and as near as dammit to 10 thou

The cylinder bit

Now I am the proud owner of a big-ish, 50 ltr, compressor for nowt but a bit of my time 8) 8) 8)

Very nice - always satisfying to make a fix and bring something back to life.

phil.p":1528f8t8 said:
Hell would freeze over before our recycling centre allowed you to recycle anything.

Same here, they won't let you take things, its "stealing", heaven forbid you make good use of something they want to scrap.

Scrap?

Possibly to the lining of their pockets?

Our bossman at the dechet is a good bloke and we are on 1st name terms. When we arrive he will take the fork off of SWMBO and help me unload our trailer. We leave stuff with him that we think may be useful to others and he makes sure it doesn't go to waste if he can. He even askes after our neighbour if he hasn't seen her for a while and when she goes in with a trailer on the back he reverses it up to the skip and unloads it for her!

He is a real gem!!!

VERY nice repair JJ. Always a good feeling innit? And your "dechet"(?) bloke does sound more than just OK, as someone above says, he's a gem. Ours is an absolute barsteward - just like phil.p says his bloke is.

Funny really, all these different approaches to scrap.

Our major chain supermarket here (Migros) recently installed a "Environment Point" where you could dump stuff for free if the local tip wouldn't take it. I've had several "good" bits & pieces out of it (much to SMBO's chagrin) but now they've blocked it off into a sort of letter box-like thing so that you can bung (most) stuff in there, but you can't see what's already in there, nor can you get anything out. Why I wonder?

SWMBO says it's because they get money for it when the scrappy comes. I understand that, but they have no idea how much they're going to get each time, because they've no idea what stuff, and how much people are going to dump there!

Anyway, in the end it costs "environmental resources" to recycle it back into raw material, so why not let people like you and me take it home to play with? It costs them "nothing" in reality AND saves someone's "Environmental Resources" to recycle it.

I just don't geddit

AES

Back