Next Pugh auction - 21st August - Ledbury

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi RogerS, good to see you and Dave there today, just got back home after a S**T journey and am about a grand lighter but got some nice stuff including the Cowell lathe and the compass planes.
Cheers,
Martin

RogerS":3s8r2j1o said:
There's a lovely Sedgwick morticer there - 240v as well.

word of caution - the big sedgewick morticer wont run on a standard 13am circuit - we had to put a 20a in for ours.

big soft moose":qwhf79h6 said:
RogerS":qwhf79h6 said:

word of caution - the big sedgewick morticer wont run on a standard 13am circuit - we had to put a 20a in for ours.
Mine does Mooosey.

Mattty":aalrj3tt said:
big soft moose":aalrj3tt said:
RogerS":aalrj3tt said:

Mine does Mooosey.

fairplay - which one have you got, because ours defintely dont (it was tripping the fuse on start up)

ours is a 571

340073_l.jpg

SVB":3qoj8flm said:
Can't remember who was after one but I notice they have a woodrat in the tools listings.

S

It went for £85. Someone got a bargain.

In hindsight (don't you just love it) I really got carried away. Nearly ended up bidding against Dusty Dave which in my book is a no-no. I reckon I could run my own auction from my workshop.

I've just been looking at the auction prices and considering there is 10% PLUS 17.5% VAT to go on top the prices seem steep to me.

Am I just being tight?

Bob

9fingers":1cykyfi4 said:
I've just been looking at the auction prices and considering there is 10% PLUS 17.5% VAT to go on top the prices seem steep to me.

Am I just being tight?

Bob

It depends. Some of the early lots were very dry, sawn, oak - very clean, no shakes (unlike the cr*p I got from Timber centre). Looking at the price I reckon they worked out about 1/2 the price of British Hardwoods. At the other end of the scale, there were waney edge planks that went for a song. Also at the end of the day it depended on who else wanted it. Also depends on the quality of the wood and whether it matches ones needs.

I agree with some of the tool prices. the two record heavy Duty rollers I had my eye on went for the price of new ones IIRC.

Thanks Roger,

I keep looking at these auctions and given the distance wonder if it is worth attending. I can buy square edge oak in dimension of my choosing for £40-50 per cube plus vat much closer to home. And a recent purchase of waney edge 1" boards came to £100 all in (plus 100mile round trip)

If only the auction were a bit nearer - it would be an interesting morning out.

They seem to have a huge number of lots. I've been at other auctions where they can get through nearly 100 lots per hour but even so the pugh ones would take ages.
Do they operate multiple auctioneers in parallel and have they gone high tech enough to allow buyers to see the lot numbers of the other auctions when attending another?

Bob

They get through about 100 lots an hour as well. This time they started the tool auction at 12.30 with a second auctioneer. As it happened the timber auction overlapped by less than 20 minutes.

I think I only bid against Roger a couple of times. Pretty good going considering the number of lots that we bid on. I've divided my pile into 3. The stuff that will hit the fire straight away (yes, I bought firewood), the pile I'm not sure what to do with and finally the pile which looks pretty good.

I bought 3 oak beams which brought up my spend considerably. These are for garden benches. The kids love sitting on them but they also enjoy using them as balance boards. The largest oak beam is 9 inches square and about 6 foot long.

I'm lucky because I only live a few miles away. This means I can do multiple journeys to get stuff home. I've got a small combo van but the weight limit is 700kg so pretty good for the heavy stuff.

Swmbo went mad with me. She'll probably stay that way for a few weeks. The only excuse I had was that Roger spent more than me!

Dave

DustyDave":1ev9q7pz said:
...that Roger spent more than me!

Like that's going to bail you out? :lol:

I think it's poor form naming & shaming - Roger for all we know managed to sneak his purchases into the house\shed without getting sussed. But now - should your Mrs ever met Mrs Roger - he's going to in it worse than you. tut tut! :lol:

big soft moose":7uzbhu0n said:
Mattty":7uzbhu0n said:
big soft moose":7uzbhu0n said:
RogerS":7uzbhu0n said:

Mine does Mooosey.

fairplay - which one have you got, because ours defintely dont (it was tripping the fuse on start up)

ours is a 571

340073_l.jpg

Strange isn't it!
Mine is the same model and i can honestly never recall a single fuse blown-
DSCF0968.JPG

Mattty":2b4e4gae said:
Strange isn't it!

It depends on the voltage and the temperature of the motor how much current is needed to fire it up.

Available power for a given current goes up as the square of the voltage approx.
So a supply voltage of 245 volts has 13% more power than say one at 230 volts - both within voltages within spec but the lower one is much more likely to blow a fuse.
Cold motors draw more current than warm ones on start up too.

Bob

9fingers":3q4padf6 said:
Mattty":3q4padf6 said:
Strange isn't it!

It depends on the voltage and the temperature of the motor how much current is needed to fire it up.

Available power for a given current goes up as the square of the voltage approx.
So a supply voltage of 245 volts has 13% more power than say one at 230 volts - both within voltages within spec but the lower one is much more likely to blow a fuse.
Cold motors draw more current than warm ones on start up too.

Bob
its probably also that the 13a circuit in our old 'shop was a steaming pile of dung - it wasnt unknown for the kettle to trip the breakers (bob knows what i'm talking about having seen the conditions there),

so i supose it might have been okay on the 13a ring in the new shop - but given that i could get a 20a supply run in for no extra cost (or more accurately that we werent paying for it) I thought i might as well be sure, especially as it does specify 20a in the manual. ( I also got a 3 phase supply brought in although we currently dont have and 3ph machines, and an airline)

Back