New workshop build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

worsley947

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello from a newbie, can anyone help me, I am going to start building a new workshop, I have ordered my timber which is being delivered next week.It will be 3.6x3.6 made from 3x2 framing, then a breathable lining then a baton fixed to the framing with 22mm loglap on the outside I intend to insulate it with loft type insulation and then board the inside with 6mm ply. I want to put an apex roof with a 20degree pitch, how do I measure and mark the roof timbers to achieve this I will post photos as I go along, may thanks Dave :)

Now, this is coming from some-one who has never done any roofing. But without researching upon it, here's what I would do.

Set it out on a big board, full size. Mark out your span first. Then get yourself a decent sized protractor and simply mark the 20 degrees. Then using a straight edge follow the line up until the other side's line done in the same method meets. That then, I would say, is your roof size, you would then just need to transfer this to the timbers.

edit: to save on the board....... only mark out one side of the roof!

Hello again, I have now started to build my workshop how do I upload my photos here please advise thanks dave[/img]

Hello all again, I have now started to build my workshop and here are the work in progress photos (Hopefully)

Floor frame with DPC
P9040012.jpg

Frame with insulation fitted

P9030005.jpg

Floor all boarded

P9040007.jpg

Rear Frame

P9040008.jpg

Righthand side with window opening

P9040012.jpg

And then rain stopped play, hopefully tomorrow will be dry
What are your thoughts so far

Hi, No I am going to put an apex roof onto it when the weather improves a bit and when im not a college, will post more photos when I have done some more

Roof trusses up

[img]http://i983.photobucket.com/albums/ae311/worsley947/P9130009.jpg

Righthand double glazed window in

P9110003.jpg

Lefthand double glazed window in

P9130006.jpg

Exterior cladding almost all done

P9130007.jpg

Doorway opening

P9130013.jpg

Hi. Don't take this the wrong way, but your trusses look a little 'rustic'.
Is the one closest to the camera actually fixed in place?
Making good time so far...

Adam.

Hi Sammo, I will have spent approx £1500 when finnished
Hi Adam Yes they do look rustic but thats ok and no I need to tighten them up a bit

Those roof trusses look very poor to me and i think you should do them again checking your dimensions and make sure you have the sides of the structure temporally fixed parallel. It will increase there strength and you will be satisfied with the job even if it slowed progress at the time.

OLD":2azsl6um said:
Those roof trusses look very poor to me and i think you should do them again checking your dimensions and make sure you have the sides of the structure temporally fixed parallel. It will increase there strength and you will be satisfied with the job even if it slowed progress at the time.

I'm with him. The end of the "rafter" is supposed to come fully in contact with a ridge board, or in the case with true rafters where there is no ridge, the rafters from each side fully engage with each other at the apex.

Your's on the the other hand - look as if only 50% (if that) of the ends touch the sides of the ridge.

Rather you than me!

Cheapest fix in your case is to undo the screws holding the rafter end to the 4"x2" ridge board (and I hope they are screws, 'cos if not....) but the end of the 4"x4" post down a tad - and drop in a 6"x2" min. Looking closely at the picture the 2 rafters at the far end - engage well with the ridge, ones closer look dung. Better and easier to fix now rather than later!

Dibs

Hi Sammo, it will have cost me about £1500 when I have finnished
Hi Adam, yes I agree they do look rustic but you wont see them when I have cladded all the inside and I re installed the nearest as I hadnt screwed it in properly
But thanks for your comments and keep them coming they are always helpful to a newbie whos just started college
Dave

Hi dibs and OLD many thanks for your comments, I will re-do them as you suggest and as you say better now than later when I could have problems
Any more hints tips and advise always welcome thanks
This is the first time I have done anything like this and I am at newark college on a cabinet making course so need a workshop to work in and will need to kit myself out with tools ect

Back