New Shed with Shiplap cladding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieob

Reaction score
Guys

I'm undertaking a task to build a new shed and clad it with some shiplap cladding. I actually plan on doing 2 sheds, but the first one will be small enough and will be the test project before I contemplate the real buid!

So I plan to have a pressure treated frame covered with some 9mm OSB3 and will put the cladding over that (well, will probably stick some sort of waterproof membrance between them). The shiplap that I think I am buying will be 144*18mm (maybe 22mm). The first section I will be doing will be narrow enough at only 750mm.

My ideal finish would be to try and screw the cladding in discretely so that the fixings are hidden with a 25mm galvenised screw through the shiplap, OSB and into the frame. Is it a good idea to hide the fixings between the laps or could it risk the wood splitting and not giving a tight secure fix? Or would it be better to have the cladding screwed in with 35mm screws and going through the centre of the board?

One or 2 screws on each side? Do you think there is any need to fix at a centrepoint, I'm not so sure as they are only 750mm wide

Would appreciate your opinions please

Loads of vids and websites on installing shiplap. Suggestion would be follow the normal way of installing. I tried to be smart with installing my cladding and although I managed it how I wanted it was a total pita. If shiplap is normally single nailed in the middle then do that.

F.

Latest posts

Back