New 2011 Metabo KGS 254 Plus - anyone got it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claptonkid

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Has anyone bought the newly released Metabo KGS 254 Plus mitre saw. Seems to be a nicely designed and well built machine, but my experience of anything made by Metabo is limited.

Here it is: http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/det ... (250-260mm)%20Sliding%20Mitre%20Saws&product=126576

Has anyone any thoughts about it before I write out the cheque?! I've seen it under £600 at Toolstop.

Thanks for any assistance!

Karl

I just bought a DwWalt 717XPS and am very pleased with it, just over £600 with teh stand from D&M.

The light which casts a shadow of teh blade works very well.

J

jasonB":5vebzhj8 said:
I just bought a DwWalt 717XPS and am very pleased with it, just over £600 with teh stand from D&M.

The light which casts a shadow of teh blade works very well.

J

Thanks for the recommendation - hadn't considered Dewalt. Seems to be getting favourable reviews around the net.

Have you seen all the Toolstop videos? The new dust extraction feature appears to work very well indeed. I've no idea how it compares to a Festool Kapex but, even with the vacuum disconnected, you can see that the large majority of the dust is directed in to the port. I've not personally seen another design as efficient as this. It's only a shame they couldn't have incorporated the rails alongside the saw, to save on space wasted behind the machine. Otherwise, it looks to be a very promising design.

With regards to the price you mentioned, the 'i' model comes with an induction motor - a few extra kilograms in weight but, it'll run much quieter and more smoothly than any brush-motored saw. Saying that, even the slightly cheaper, slightly lighter, brush-motored model doesn't sound as rough as some saws I've heard (I'm sure it's featured in another video?).

OPJ":3m3e205y said:
Have you seen all the Toolstop videos? The new dust extraction feature appears to work very well indeed. I've no idea how it compares to a Festool Kapex but, even with the vacuum disconnected, you can see that the large majority of the dust is directed in to the port. I've not personally seen another design as efficient as this. It's only a shame they couldn't have incorporated the rails alongside the saw, to save on space wasted behind the machine. Otherwise, it looks to be a very promising design.

With regards to the price you mentioned, the 'i' model comes with an induction motor - a few extra kilograms in weight but, it'll run much quieter and more smoothly than any brush-motored saw. Saying that, even the slightly cheaper, slightly lighter, brush-motored model doesn't sound as rough as some saws I've heard (I'm sure it's featured in another video?).

Yes, the videos really highlight how good the extraction is.

I've heard that induction motor saws are better but is it really worth the extra weight? It seems to be an extra 8kg according to the stats.

And I think you're right about the wasted space - the Dewalt as suggested by JasonB seems to be more compact, yet competes/surpasses with its capabilities.

All in all though, I am still quite attracted to the saw.

There is still quite a bit that sticks out the back of the DW. Can't remember what I was looking at teh other day but it had two pairs of rails, one top, one in the base so making it more compact. Will have a look tonight

J

J

I recently bought the Hitachi C12RSH which doesn't stick out on the back at all !! :D

Hitachi-C12RSH.jpg

I couldn't be more pleased with it

I was wondering the same as OP.
I can get the KGS 254 plus at a serious discount (475 euros) from a friend who owns a hardware store.

I was looking for any reviews of this saw but couldn't find any. So perhaps, by now, there are more users of this particular saw.

I have the KGS255Plus and I am very happy with it. Very sturdy and accurate and comes with a good blade.

Keep an eye out for the KGS303. slightly older model. Metabo did a clearance deal to their distributors and you will find some very good deals on it.

Double bevel mitre saw with great cutting capacity and very accurate. An awful lot of saw for the money.

Very well made tools IMO

I've had the KGS303 for several years now as well as several other Metabo tools. They are all designed and well made, with no complaints. The KGS is very quiet ( I actually bought it when doing up my kitchen several years ago and my kids were younger and in bed. ) It was used when they were sleeping and I didnt wake any of them up! Cant say that about a screaming brush motor.

Mike

my apologies, it is the KGS305 which is double bevel. A very nice saw. A 110v version can be had for £395 if you look around.

Well, I saw the saw demonstrated and I was most impressed with the dust collection.
So I'd like to go with the plus version of the metabo range. But I still wonder about the precision of the device, or the quality of the cut with the blade that comes with the saw.
475 euros is still too much if the saw is not precise enough.

We have the Kapex at work and the KGS 305 (I dont think it is the plus veroin but I'll check) next to each other. At full extension there is no flex in either. The balde on the KGS305 is superb as well.

Some of our guys went to the Metabo factory and said the level of build quality and testing is second to none. As a marker, we have never had a Metabo saw back for repair in the workshop.

The stock blade that comes with the KGS255 (standard version not plus) is not brilliant, but the plus version which I have has a really nice blade.

Hope this all helps the OP

Cheers

That was exactly the information I was hoping to get.
Just called my friend. I can expect the the saw tomorrow evening, just in time for the weekend!
I've got some scrap wood in my cellar so I'm planning to test the saw to the fullest!

Exciting! Boys and their toys, ey? ;)

Anyone actually got one of these then?

Just got one and annoyingly there's about a couple degrees of play in the 90 degree bevel lock, meaning you never know if the saw is locked back in at 90 degree's. Be interested to know if it's a fault on mine, or common.

I'll take a look at one at work on Monday and see if its the same. I was plesently surprised at how rigid the new ones are so it may just need adjustment. Their quality control is very high so be surprised if it left the factory not in top condition.

I'd be interested to know, thanks.

Sadly, it's not just the 90 degree bevel lock that is below standard, the mitre detents are shocking, worse than some of the £70 saws they sell in B&Q. Think I made a mistake ordering this Metabo and it sounded so good, but it has to go back. This is my first metabo product and can't say I'm impressed, there are some good things about the saw, the rails are very smooth, the laser is crisp and there's some nice buttons for the depth stop and plunge lock but having so much 'wiggle' in the detents is not really what I would expect from a £500-£600 machine. Judge for yourself:

Video of the 90 degree bevel lock:
http://youtu.be/sMMzvOsZqas

Video of the Mitre detents:
http://youtu.be/x24b_qa1JX4

I haven't used the saw at all, this is straight out of the box. I did read the manual and as far as I'm aware there isn't a way to make the detents more solid, you can adjust the 90 degree angle and tighten the bevel lock clamp they won't affect the detents afaik. Shame

Back