My Moxon dovetail vise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume you made the vise so you could take it to a demo away from your workshop - IIRC your main bench has a (huge) twin screw face vise already.

BugBear

Hi BB

You have an amazing memory!

That is partially true - I was inspired to make it for the LN workshop. However the Moxon vise has distinct advantages over my shopmade twin vise. Firstly, it raises the sawing by about 8 or 9", which makes for a little more upright stance. For Chris Schwarz this is the main advantage of the Moxon. Secondly, it permits flexibility for work holding, such as length-wise and well as width-wise holding (as illustrated in my article). The length-wise holding is something I could previously only do with a multitude of clamps, and "arrangements" that were never very satisfactory.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi BB

You have an amazing memory!

That is partially true - I was inspired to make it for the LN workshop. However the Moxon vise has distinct advantages over my shopmade twin vise. Firstly, it raises the sawing by about 8 or 9", which makes for a little more upright stance. For Chris Schwarz this is the main advantage of the Moxon. Secondly, it permits flexibility for work holding, such as length-wise and well as width-wise holding (as illustrated in my article). The length-wise holding is something I could previously only do with a multitude of clamps, and "arrangements" that were never very satisfactory.

Regards from Perth

Derek

BTW, I'm fairly certain (reference is at home) that this design is shown explicitly in Robert Wearing's book.

BugBear

bugbear":h1b9k178 said:
Making Woodwork Aids and Devices

Robert Wearing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861081294/

It's NOT a book for those of "keep it simple-ist" religion. A gadget for every task!

BugBear

You need to be very, very careful with that book. Otherwise you can find yourself spending more time making "aids and devices" than you spend making "things"!!! :roll: :roll:

jimi43":1n01y1cn said:
Nice one again Derek...is that Jarrah again?

Jim

Hi Jim

Yep .. thought you'd appreciate that. All offcuts from my current build (a couple of military chests).

Regards from Perth

Derek

AH! Fast becoming my most favourite tropical wood....

Not to hijack the thread but if I can just ask...how well does Jarrah turn?

I have a feeling it would make some nice handles...

Jim

bugbear":2ugqgox8 said:
Making Woodwork Aids and Devices

Robert Wearing

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1861081294/

It's NOT a book for those of "keep it simple-ist" religion. A gadget for every task!

BugBear

I checked last night and the dovetail sawing vice, so vivid in my mind, is not there.

However the style of the drawing, which I recall quite distinctly, is so like Wearing's I remain convinced it's his.

He has written more than one book, but Aids and Devices is the only one I own.

Help welcomed!

BugBear

Hi BB

I did a little research. What I found was a modified bookbinder vise that is used in a similar manner to Chris Schwarz' reconstruction of the Moxon vise. This is on page 134 of Scott Landis' book on Workbenches (which no doubt Chris must have read - do you think that he "rediscovered" Moxon with the unconscious memory of Landis?).

At the end of the day this is a damn useful tool, where ever it originated.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Jimi

Jarrah can turn well, but some examples end up very rough. The wood is open-grained and the grain is interlocked, so it takes sandpaper to get a fine finish.

Here is a marking set I made ...

A%20Knife%20for%20Marking%20Dovetails_html_m3f16fde1.jpg

And a brace I built a few years ago - only the head was turned; the remainder was spokeshaved, scraped and sanded.

Competition%20brace%20for%20Wood%20Central%202008_html_6194fb28.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

My Lord Derek! That brace is gorgeous...

And the other turnings are fine too! I had a feeling that the wood would be a tad difficult on the lathe....but you managed to tame it. I would take it down to 320 and finish it with fine mesh 3M stuff...

I think the tiny bit that I have which is a slice from a railway sleeper is not enough to do much else with.....mine seems to have more black grain figuring in it.....might prove quite interesting.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread mate....

Jim

Hi all,

just a very brief hi-jack - BB was asking for the Robert Wearing reference - it is in "The Resourceful Woodworker" page 35 - almost identical Derek - great minds ....

Carry on fellahs

Dave

Hi Derek

Thanks for the link...I'm off on leave for two weeks at the end of February so apart from tidying up the shop for the new season I know I have to spend the darkness hours reading through your amazing site....

There are so many gems and ideas there...wonderful stuff and no wonder it was a prize winner!

Cheers mate...

Jim

Sportique":1hista0o said:
Hi all,

just a very brief hi-jack - BB was asking for the Robert Wearing reference - it is in "The Resourceful Woodworker" page 35 - almost identical Derek - great minds ....

Carry on fellahs

Dave

I'm not going mad! Yippee!

BugBear

Back